Nick Cho teases new filter cone design - Page 8

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
kruzilla

#71: Post by kruzilla »

They're sending me a replacement. They were very nice about it.

Just write them at shop@wreckingballcoffee.com.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#72: Post by yakster »

I tested the December Dripper again today-yesterday I had just done a dry run without coffee and using cold water-and the gentle taps with a hammer do appear to have really reduced the side leakage, I just see a line of coffee at the interface between the cone and the base. I'm not going to worry about it, the dripper is working fine for me.

Good to hear that they responded to your request and are sending you a replacement, Jason.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
kruzilla

#73: Post by kruzilla »

Good to hear that they responded to your request and are sending you a replacement, Jason.
Thanks. Yeah, even after hammering mine was/is still leaking quite a bit so I'm very happy they're replacing it. :D

tglodjo

#74: Post by tglodjo »

yakster wrote:I tested the December Dripper again today-yesterday I had just done a dry run without coffee and using cold water-and the gentle taps with a hammer do appear to have really reduced the side leakage, I just see a line of coffee at the interface between the cone and the base. I'm not going to worry about it, the dripper is working fine for me.
Glad it's working for you after the fix! I heard back yesterday and should be getting a replacement soon since the issue continue for me after the hammer attempt.

Moving on from the dripped issues, what kind of recipes are y'all trying? What variations of the settings are you using?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#75: Post by yakster »

This morning I brewed a 40/600 batch with an intentionally coarser grind and a long bloom on stage 0. After that I set the dripper for stage 1 for a long contact time and did about three pours, not really very systematically or carefully as I was also cooking breakfast at the time.

The coffee was delicious, and it was nice to be able to multitask with this dripper in the kitchen; I usually use my Behmor BraZen in the morning so I can prepare coffee and breakfast at the same time, or occasionally a stovetop siphon on the weekend which also allows me to brew and cook at the same time, it's nice that this filter come is forgiving enough to make a good cup without demanding my full attention.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ♡

#76: Post by yakster »

Another brew this morning, really enjoying being able to brew with a coarser grind and being able to control the contact time. I think it reduces bitterness and astringency and results in a flavorful cup that I'd compare to a siphon brew.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ♡

#77: Post by yakster »

This morning another batch, bloom on stage zero and started the pour at 0.5, I noticed more side leakage, on the order of what I experienced with stage 0.5 before the hammer feel. I may need to try a few more Yak Wacks or it may be that stage 0.5 is more prone to side leaks.

Anyone else care to share their experiences?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
kruzilla

#78: Post by kruzilla »

So, I received my replacement dripper and it was almost no leakage at 0. It was when I spun it to around 2 that I got massive leakage. I cleaned it up and poured again and again got almost no leakage. The leaking problem just seems to be during the rotation. Is anyone else having this issue?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#79: Post by yakster »

I haven't really noticed the leakage being tied to the rotation, Jason, but I still get a bit of side leakage, especially on a 0.5 setting.

I tried out the December Dripper for flash brewed iced coffee today since it was 106 F here, I put the December Dripper on top of a Kalita 155 with some ice in it which sat on top of my Kalita 185 Style set with more ice in it's filter and ice in the base to make a three stage tower I'm calling a December 340. This was an expansion of the Kalita 340 method I've used in the past with the coffee in the Kalita 155 and ice in the 185 filter and base. It Probably would have done just as good a job having the December Dripper on top of just the 185, but it was fun to balance them all on top of each other. The coffee was great, I bloomed for a minute on stage 0 then turned it to 0.5 for a slow drip into the ice, the Ethiopia Jimma was nice and sweet. Since you're reducing the hot water pour and making up for it with ice I feel like slowing the flow while brewing with a coarse grind helped get more flavors out of the coffee.

I used 40 grams of coffee, 350 ml of hot water and 250 grams of ice, it could use more ice and it was so hot that the ice was melting already before I even started brewing.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

coffeemmichael

#80: Post by coffeemmichael »

Mine just arrived, purchased from Prima. First brew on 12 holes has no side-leaking at all, nor any when i ran water through the dripper while changing the aperture