Next Level Pulsar Brewer - Page 6

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
dan138zig

#51: Post by dan138zig »

does anyone use a low-fine grinder with this brewer? mine is the pietro and my drawdown has been really fast with V60 grind size. how would you handle this? go finer or slow down the flow? someone on reddit said this:

Rao says MPs are too homogeneous for this brewer and you'll get astringency, ode gen2s, gorilla gear burrs, or zp6 should be the maximum highest clarity burr you use with this brewer.

What's your thoughts?

helicon47

#52: Post by helicon47 »

I use a Mahlkonig Kenia, which produces very few fines, and I'm getting beautiful brews from the Pulsar, but only after changing up Gagne's recipe as described in my previous post in this thread. Specifically, I think his suggested grind size is too large. More crucially, the water level must be sufficiently deep not to agitate the coffee bed - i.e., greater than the ~1 cm he recommends. I prefer to keep the water level between the 200 and 300 ml volume markings post-bloom.

What does still change hugely from one brew to the next is the flow rate of coffee through the valve. It can be very quick or nearly stalled, seemingly depending on how much dry and wet WDT there are at the outset. If the flow is too quick, I close the valve to reduce the flow. If it's entirely too slow, I tend to give the coffee bed another quick WWDT and swirl. That usually loosens things up just enough to get the flow going again. And as long as the total brew time is between about 4-6 minutes, the coffee still delicious.

The Pulsar is if nothing else an amazingly forgiving brewing tool.

pawesen

#53: Post by pawesen »

Rao says MPs are too homogeneous for this brewer and you'll get astringency, ode gen2s, gorilla gear burrs, or zp6 should be the maximum highest clarity burr you use with this brewer.
I've made ~50 brews on the Pulsar with 98mm TC Brew and SK LU burrs and have yet to make a bad one... I've been doing 15-20g ground at ~600um burr gap measured from chirp and using 50/15 water at 93C (boiling temp where I live). Pour 3-4x weight of ground coffee, gentle WWDT and bloom for <30s with the valve closed. Then I do pulse pours keeping the water at ~1cm with the valve at ~1 o'clock position to restrict the flow and get a TBT of around 3:15-3:30. I've also gotten great results with this Recipe from Rohan: https://pocketsciencecoffee.com/2023/10 ... -from-v60/. That said, Prodigal is too developed for my taste and I wouldn't expect good results with it from the Pulsar and a high-clarity burr. But it's an interesting take, I think Jonathan developed the brewer and his recipe with 80mm ULF which also produce a very homogeneous PSD.

dan138zig

#54: Post by dan138zig »

I actually received a response from one of the founders:

I could ask him but I'd b surprised if he said that. At SCA Portland we were using a Weber EG1 with ULF installed... And grinding quite fine (down around 700um if I'm remembering correctly) and Scott was in an out of our booth a lot. We were getting fantastic cups from that setup... We have to remember that Scott is very sensitive to astringency too, and most people won't have the same experience as him.

Based on some of Jonathan's bed depth experiments, I'd think bed depth and flow rate thru the bed would have a greater impact than grind uniformity. I think Jonathan's thot is that the bottom of the bed extracts differently than the top, and that becomes more noticable the deeper the bed.

I'd love to hear from you guys here about your experience with differing bed depth/dose size with the same coffee. Can we get the same cup profile with different doses by either adjusting flow or maybe grinding with a grinder that creates more fines for smaller doses? (This subject needs is own thread ..)

mlunsford27

#55: Post by mlunsford27 »

pawesen wrote:I've made ~50 brews on the Pulsar with 98mm TC Brew and SK LU burrs and have yet to make a bad one... I've been doing 15-20g ground at ~600um burr gap measured from chirp and using 50/15 water at 93C (boiling temp where I live). Pour 3-4x weight of ground coffee, gentle WWDT and bloom for <30s with the valve closed. Then I do pulse pours keeping the water at ~1cm with the valve at ~1 o'clock position to restrict the flow and get a TBT of around 3:15-3:30. I've also gotten great results with this Recipe from Rohan: https://pocketsciencecoffee.com/2023/10 ... -from-v60/. That said, Prodigal is too developed for my taste and I wouldn't expect good results with it from the Pulsar and a high-clarity burr. But it's an interesting take, I think Jonathan developed the brewer and his recipe with 80mm ULF which also produce a very homogeneous PSD.
By 1oclock do you mean valve almost all the way open but not quite?

pawesen

#56: Post by pawesen »

Yes correct, I only open it fully to drain the bloom. I prefer the flavor profile of coarser grinds with flow restriction but that's grinder dependent.

bznelson91
Supporter ♡

#57: Post by bznelson91 »

I'm probably ten brews in on my Pulsar, and have been blown away with almost every one. Since I'm trying to dial it in, and I also have a new Christmas present (DiFluid R2 Extract refractometer) to "help" dial it in ;) I've been focusing on one coffee, Juan Martin Pink Bourbon from Cauca Colombia by Wild Gift in Austin, TX (picked up in person a few weeks ago at the roastery and frozen within a few days).

Each cup I've made has gotten better. I started with something close to the "Basic Recipe" from https://nextlevelbrewer.com/pulsar-recipes/, but since I'm looking for two cups, I start with 520g of water, and my latest brews have used 27g of coffee, which is a crazy low (for me) coffee to water ratio of over 1:19, netting about 450g of coffee. But the brews still burst with flavor, and my latest one (with 203 degree water instead of right off boil) resulted in a TDS of 1.49 (my lowest by a smidge) and extraction yield of just under 25%, which sounds like it should be strong and awful, but it's incredible. I've not used the R2 on any of my other brewers since i just got it, but so far, I'm loving the Pulsar very hard.

I think I'm going to make one more brew this afternoon, upping the grind size from 4.0 to 4.1 on my Ode Gen 2 (stock burrs). To my eye with a Brewler, the 4.0 grind looks to be 700-800um, at the fine end of the recommendation on the recipe. Draw down times are within the recipe params.

The only other time I tried such a crazy coffee/water ratio was on my Aeropress, and I was wholly underwhelmed. But that's for another thread :)

Brad

bznelson91
Supporter ♡

#58: Post by bznelson91 »

I've had a couple of brew behave strangely the last couple of days. I was doing a new (to this brewer) bean in each case, grinding at a 3.2 on my Ode Gen 2, which in my opinion isn't too fine, nor really coarse. I'm using the "basic recipe" from the NextLevel site, varying only amount of coffee/water. I've done other brews at this grind level with no worries. In each case, the draw down was very long, over 6 minutes, and the brewer kind of "stalled", meaning that the flow slowed to a trickle or even just drops. In the first case, that continued until the end, and in the second case, the stall "cleared" and went back to laminar flow without any action (no swirl, no stir) and finished up fine.

Has anyone else seen this? The TDS from the "finished stalled" brew was much lower compared to what I usually get, and the taste reflected that (weak, but otherwise delicious). The "stall but cleared" brew was a more "normal" TDS on the DiFluid.

Edit: A third stalled brew on another new bean, this time at an even more coarse grind. Ran over ten minutes (!) and resulting brew is tasty but weak. TDS upcoming after my sample cools. I found some Reddit posts suggesting my WWDT step could be leading to the stalling; maybe I'll try without that next time.

Brad

bznelson91
Supporter ♡

#59: Post by bznelson91 »

0.94 TDS, 15.74 EY on the third brew, my lowest yet with this brewer. Bizarre.

Brad

mlunsford27

#60: Post by mlunsford27 »

I have also had a few stalls in the last few days after not stalling for the first 30-40 brews. I found they came when I was making two cups of coffee (36 g of ground coffee) and I was using a shorter steeped bloom (30s) vs my usual of 1:00 to 1:30 steeped bloom. My theory is that somehow the larger amount of coffee and the shorter bloom contributed to the stalling, like the shorter bloom wasn't enough to evacuate all the CO2 or didn't pull enough extraction out of the grounds to allow a clear path for flow.

I do one gentle swirl of the brewer during the bloom to ensure all grounds are evenly wetted.