Next Level Pulsar Brewer - Page 5

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Sawyergray2
Posts: 5
Joined: 3 months ago

#41: Post by Sawyergray2 »

viteaux wrote:For what its worth, I was initially in the same boat. Using Gangne's recipe, was getting some really astringent brews. Ground coarser until I maxed out my Ode Gen1 with no luck. Then for shits and giggles stared grinding finer and now at setting 3 getting great brews. Modified Gangne's recipe a bit, wet the filter, 45 sec bloom with light wwdt. Pours to about an inch or so over bed, roughly 100g pours, 208F water, let drain to about a cm above bed and pour again. 18:300, Nat Ethiopians and washed Kenyans take roughly 5 min to finish. I thought the pour to just 1 cm was causing too much agitation in my brews, so opted for longer pours and it has worked out well for me.

Are you using the v1.1 burrs?

viteaux
Posts: 36
Joined: 8 months ago

#42: Post by viteaux »

Yes, I'm using the v1 burrs. I've been thinking about getting the v2's if they go on sale, but I'm enjoying the brews I'm getting with the original burrs.

Jonk
Posts: 2100
Joined: 4 years ago

#43: Post by Jonk »

Setting 3 on an Ode with gen 1.0 burrs is coarser than what I used (setting 5-7 MPv1).

Perhaps I should've tried grinding coarser still, using the valve to control flow.. but it was brewing fast and tasting weak/bland so I stopped at 7.

User avatar
RTOBarista
Supporter ★
Posts: 113
Joined: 3 years ago

#44: Post by RTOBarista »

Fellow Stagg X modification

I first used Aramas's recommendation of folding a filter paper and using a cut window screen. Folding the paper was a pain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOVJX196eac). I progressed to using a v2 filter paper and a smasher which was much easier. I use a 51 mm Norcore puck screen after seeing a video on reddit (can't find it)

https://www.instagram.com

helicon47
Posts: 37
Joined: 3 months ago

#45: Post by helicon47 »

So, based on the suggestions I received here, I've made a few modifications to my brewing technique to reduce astringency and seem to have succeeded.

Specifically, I'm now: (1) using 97°C brewing water rather than 99°C; (2) reducing bloom time to 45 seconds from 1 minute; (3) tightening up the grind slightly to about 700 µm average particle size (11/20 on a Kenia), so about the same as 3 on a V1 Fellow Ode. Finally, and probably most importantly, I made sure the brew water depth was never less than about 1 inch, so ~2.5 times deeper than Gagné suggests in his brewing instructions.

The results have been somewhat astonishing compared with what I'd achieved previously in the Pulsar (or any other percolation/immersion method). Measured with my refractometer, TDS has been hovering around 1.65 with an extraction yield of >25%, with minimal perceptible bitterness or astringency. VERY full bodied and fruity coffee from a light roast Kenyan (Calendar Coffee). I've never brewed coffee of this concentration before without bitterness or astringency, so it was somewhat eye-opening. My usual brewing methods tend to produce coffees with about 1.40 TDS and 21-22% extraction yield.

If I were to make further changes, I might increase the water temperature to 98°C or even 99°C again since I think it probably aids in the extraction of fruitier compounds from light roast coffees and probably doesn't affect astringency much. Otherwise, I'm pretty delighted by the results and will experiment with an Ethiopian coffee tomorrow. Thanks all!
★ Helpful

Sawyergray2
Posts: 5
Joined: 3 months ago

#46: Post by Sawyergray2 »

Is anyone using the ZP6 grinder with naturals and anaerobic coffees? Still struggling to get anything out of this Pulsar

viteaux
Posts: 36
Joined: 8 months ago

#47: Post by viteaux »

Killed my first bag of filters. 100 brews in and the Kalita is collecting dust in the cabinet. I tried one of the immersion recipes, half the water, steep for 4 min, drain, other half of the water and steep for another 4 min. OK, but not as good to me as my riff on the basic recipe. Couple of observations: I noticed that I was getting some low spots in the bed, I'm not sure if its my countertop or what, but water seems to "cling" to 4-5 areas of the dispersion cap after a pour. Started doing 1/4 turns of the cap before each pour and that has eliminated that. I don't do any swirls or stirring during a brew, my feeling is that will lead to clogging. Also, the brew chamber has developed a whiteish tinge on the bottom half. Just a cosmetic thing, doesn't affect the taste of the brews. Other than that, my experience is that this thing rocks. I'm brewing Ethiopian naturals, washed Colombians and Kenyans. I'm not a big fan of the anaerobic/experimental processing methods, the funk just doesn't speak to me, but I have heard they are more challenging to dial in on the Pulsar.

Sawyergray2
Posts: 5
Joined: 3 months ago

#48: Post by Sawyergray2 replying to viteaux »


I've killed my first bag of filters and still haven't made anything decent from this brewer

viteaux
Posts: 36
Joined: 8 months ago

#49: Post by viteaux »

That sucks, I wish you were having a better experience! I've actually bought a couple of these to give as gifts.

Sawyergray2
Posts: 5
Joined: 3 months ago

#50: Post by Sawyergray2 replying to viteaux »


Yea it's been the hardest brewer to dial in by far. I am a natural and anaerobic drinker tho. I've bought several washed coffees to see how they'll do in it