Next Level Pulsar Brewer - Page 23

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
ypwang

#221: Post by ypwang »

The extraction at the end is small, so it will not affect your EY. However it will affect your overall TDS, I personally will wait until all liquid pass through because I don't like high TDS coffee.
Also want to echo the WWDT thing, I do aggressive WWDT, just like poking the coffee bed/filter paper for 10 secs to get rid off air bubbles possibly trapped inside/under the coffee bed. It turns out very good, sensory profile is very consistent from cup to cup, no random outlier after I start doing that.

dan138zig

#222: Post by dan138zig »

Probably so. These past few days I've been dripping the last couple ml's of liquid into a new cup and it didn't taste dry/bitter, so I don't think it contributes to dryness.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#223: Post by Milligan »

Oh man, best cup so far. TW Geisha. I've been getting my new Timemore 078 dialed in and this has helped quite a bit with the Pulsar. Far fewer fines with the 078 and a much more uniform grind compared to the Ditting LS. I am able to grind very fine but still get a consistent and on-target draw down. I've not had to worry about the first post-bloom pour agitating the coffee bed. So, I've gone back to opening the valve after bloom and then pouring immediately after for my first post-bloom pour as it begins to draw down. No more clogging.

I'm beginning to think this brewer is very grinder dependent. It seems to work well with a narrow range of grinders/burrs and can be hard/impossible to dial in fully for some combinations. Maybe that is why some are having a great time with it while others are having trouble.

Thewolfiest

#224: Post by Thewolfiest »

Just saw a video Gagne reposted and the guy poured his bloom with the shower screen off, WWDT, shower screen back and pours. I have only ever done my bloom with the cap on. Wondering how everyone does their blooms. Do you pour with the show screen/dispersion screen off or on? Anyone noticed any differences? I'll need to try it out for myself when so get back from a trip this weekend.

dan138zig

#225: Post by dan138zig »

Anyone finds the pulsar dose-sensitive? These past few days I've been noticing that changing the dose as little as 1-2g skews the taste noticeably. I'm using Pocket Science's recipe, might be recipe dependent too.

coffeeOnTheBrain

#226: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

I tried the Pulsar filters in the aeropress. They have way less resist than original or Aesir filters. I get the feeling that they potentially taste cleaner, but one shouldn't increase the flow but rather keep it at the same speed to avoid astringency and bitterness.
I haven settled on a recipe yet.

I don't bother with cutting the paper to size and just press the cap over the filter. When I am careful I can most of the time remove the cap as with the original filter.

bznelson91
Supporter ♡

#227: Post by bznelson91 »

I think the Pulsar filters are close to par with Sibarist Fast. I have a good circle cutter and Sibarist Fast XLs, I need to make some and compare.

Brad

coffeeOnTheBrain

#228: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain replying to bznelson91 »

I am not sure if Sibarist and Pulsar are really comparable. I did only one comparison but the Pulsar were much more clean, they both flow similarly fast though.

I went lucky today with an Aeropress recipe. 1:15 ratio, 18g coffee, 94C, not upside down.
Add coffee, fill Aeropress half way with water, a little wer wdt, add water until 270g, add plunger, at 1:10 start plunging really slow and with low force, be done around 2:00
It was the most juciy, sweetest, and most fruity coffee I got from this Kenian.

bznelson91
Supporter ♡

#229: Post by bznelson91 »

I came across something on Diaspora yesterday that got me to thinking. It was in a subthread that had drifted to astringency, and both Rao and Gagné had weighed in. Gagné mentioned "Pulsar column height" as a factor, and I thought about how I do my Pulsar brews. I detailed this upthread (around page 18 or so), and I wonder if this is why some people get better results from this brewer than others.

The suggestion was that, the more that water is "forced" through the media, the more astringency that will result, other factors being equal. Even something like water column height will cause more pressure on the media, and I make a point to keep my water column high enough to minimize agitation, but low enough to try to stay away from this "column effect".

I've not experimented with pouring more in at once, has anyone tried this? Still loving this brewer, even though a lot of my daily brews have been with Filter 2.1 and Filter 3.0 on the Decent lately.

Brad

yakster
Supporter ♡

#230: Post by yakster »

This reminds me of Nick Cho's Zero Pour technique where he would get the gooseneck for the kettle right above the bed and pour to minimize turbulence for an even extraction. He hosted a Kalita event years ago at the original Wrecking Ball location in the old firehouse with a talk on coffee and talked about this. You want to keep the bed covered but not too high.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272