Next Level Pulsar Brewer - Page 22

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
viteaux

#211: Post by viteaux »

berfles wrote:Which way does the filter go again? I know it was mentioned here but I can't find it.
"Smooth side" down. That being said, I went through a pack of filters before I read this, and I haven't noticed any difference in draw down time or taste.

bznelson91
Supporter ♡

#212: Post by bznelson91 »

I'm at over 120 brews with the Pulsar now, and I wish everyone was having a good of an experience as I am. I'm still convinced that the changes with the biggest impact to my brews are grinding more coarse, and using less coffee. I used to use 1:14 (!) in automatic drip, and 1:15 in Chemex/V60, which sound crazy, but I use 1:19 almost exclusively here, which sounds crazy the other way :) I almost never go below 5 on my Ode Gen 2, which is crazy to me (again); I'd regularly go in the 2s before with the drip machine, and now, I realize, I was just getting more bypass, the water wasn't going through the coffee. I wish I had some refractometer measurements from that setup; maybe I'll do some just for giggles.

The refractometer confirms what I'm tasting, that even at this ratio, I'm consistently getting over 22% EY in my cups. They taste fruity and delicious, and the good ones have no bitterness at all. I use almost exclusively light (but not Nordic) roasts, and the water coming from my kettle is 210-212 (99-100C) almost always.

This morning, I tried yet another variation: shorter bloom time. This has been discussed in this thread and elsewhere, and I really got to see it in action in two cups I made today. The first was with Prodigal La Mina, which is a super coffee, featuring blackberry as its primary tasting note. With a 1:00 bloom (my typical), the blackberry is very prominent. With a 0:30 bloom today, it practically punched me in the face (but in a very good way). The difference was very noticeable. I tried it again with a washed Rwandan from a local Austin roastery (Try Hard "The Sword"), and same thing, the fruits just jumped out more than I've ever tasted with this brewer. I'll probably stick with the 0:30 from here on out.

Bottom line: I know there's no "one brewer" for everyone, or everyone would be using that one. I make no money off of Pulsar sales, but I almost want to get them for Christmas presents for all of my coffee friends this year :) I hope that those of you who have them, and aren't getting good results, can get there at some point. Just try stuff! Even counterintuitive things. And if all else fails, I'd be happy to have another Pulsar or two, send me a DM and I might buy it off of you :)

Brad

Dav

#213: Post by Dav »

bznelson91 wrote:I tried it again with a washed Rwandan from a local Austin roastery (Try Hard "The Sword"), and same thing, the fruits just jumped out more than I've ever tasted with this brewer.
Did you get the box set? Was such a cool package. I can't wait to taste the coffee, glad to see such a glowing review of it before I dig in.

bznelson91
Supporter ♡

#214: Post by bznelson91 »

No, but I did buy the digital album on Bandcamp :)

Brad

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#215: Post by Milligan »

I need to try the faster bloom next time. After a few days of slightly modifying my technique I figured out a nice workflow that I can stick with and modify slightly. I was having issues with long draw down and sometimes choking. I changed how I introduced the first post-bloom pour and now things are moving great with 4:15-4:30 TBT with no astringency. I can now focus on increased clarity and flavor separation which the shorter bloom may help.

The change I made was to add my first post-bloom pour to the bloom before opening the valve. If I opened the valve to let the bloom start draining and then started pouring my first post bloom pour then there was too much agitation. Now I pour into the bloom, let that settle. Then open the valve. The bed is very uniform and the flow is very consistent throughout the brew.

I'm using the Ditting Lab Sweet burrs which creates a few more fines than other brew focused burrs so my brews are a little more sensitive to fines.
★ Helpful

mlunsford27

#216: Post by mlunsford27 »

I have also found good success with adding the first pour before opening the valve. Scott Rao calls this out in his recipe posted on his blog.

Shorter bloom time will bring out a bit more brightness and acidity in my experience.

mlunsford27

#217: Post by mlunsford27 »

Also, I have found clogging issues when agitating while drawing down. If you are going to agitate, do it while the valve is closed

dan138zig

#218: Post by dan138zig »

Just a summary of what might've improved my brews with pocket Science's recipe. In the early days there's always this annoying dryness/harshness in my brews, even though the taste was fine otherwise. The tweaks I made (not all at once):
- lowering the temp to 96-94c from off the boil.
- increasing the flow rate. Now my brews are 15s shorter. I no longer use valve position as a guide, just focus on how fast the coffee flows.
- wwdt more purposefully and deeper, making sure the entire bed is saturated
- pouring the last pour when the bed is still submerged (at least 0.5cm of water). I think lower than that causes unnecessary agitation (?)
- ending the brew when the bed is still wet

Not saying that any of them made a difference. Just sharing my experience to discuss on

bznelson91
Supporter ♡

#219: Post by bznelson91 »

"Ending with bed still wet" - I've done this kind of by accident before (stubbed my toe on the pour :) ), and it did seem to alter the brew a little. Maybe I'll try it again on purpose.

I've also strived for complete/fairly vigorous WWDT to ensure grounds are wet. Are you using 3X for the bloom water dose?

Brad

dan138zig

#220: Post by dan138zig »

To be honest I don't know how it could make a difference. As long as the ratio is good then surely the last drops wouldn't be detrimental to the brew? Someone suggested this on Discord.

I use 3-4x bloom.