Next brewing mechanism to try...Thoughts?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
vaaccess

#1: Post by vaaccess »

I enjoy espresso well enough, but have really been getting into pour-over. My favorite experience so far is Chemex, which I've had at several different coffee shops.

At home, I have a couple of reusable metal pour-over filters, I've tried Moka pots, french press, cold brew, but I don't feel like they produce the same quality/flavors as the Chemex, but I know there are other options like a V60(?) that I see people talking about that I haven't been able to try yet. Moreover, I am also intrigued by something like the Behmor brewer (I haven't had drip coffee at home in FOREVER)...I have the Behmor 1600+ that I roast with and love it, happy to support a small company like that...

Anyway, I know this coffee thing is a journey, but looking for thoughts on my next step. I'm thinking about getting a Chemex just because of the experiences I've had, but curious to get insights from others.

I prefer a light roast that has plenty of fruit/cherry flavors, dark roast coffee is dead-to-me...hahahah! (Something I would not have imagined before this year!)

Thanks!

MikeTheBlueCow

#2: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

Personally I would get a V60, for which you can just buy and use Chemex filters when you want that Chemex coffee, but can use V60 filters for when you want that experience as well. The other thing is that Chemex goes through filter shortages, so at times it may be difficult to find the filters and it'll be nice to have the other option. I don't think V60 filters will work in a Chemex as they might be hard to remove and also you would be removing the ribs that are important characteristics of a V60 so might run into other problems as well; better to use a V60 with Chemex filters in that case. I do this with good results. I recommend the plastic V60 for the best possible heat retention, however as long as you preheat it well (I use about a cup of boiled water to preheat) then you can use most materials if you prefer not to get the plastic one. The other nice thing about plastic is it doesn't get hot to the touch (helpful for Rao spins and cleanups) and it is durable.

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

French Press, Vacuum Pot, and the Clever Dripper steep the coffee as opposed to percolating it using coarser grinds and longer brew times. Might be worth checking one out. I personally like the Clever, since you can filter the coffee after steeping it.
Jim Schulman

jpender

#4: Post by jpender »

Vacuum pot seems an appropriate suggestion given your username.

An alternative to branching out to new brewing devices is to go back to some of those other methods you've already tried and delve deeper.

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

I have also had good experience with the Brazen Brewer, which I use to quickly brew a pot if headed off to work. I don't find it superior to a Chemex, just another controllable method and one that's convenient.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

vaaccess (original poster)

#6: Post by vaaccess (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:French Press, Vacuum Pot, and the Clever Dripper steep the coffee as opposed to percolating it using coarser grinds and longer brew times. Might be worth checking one out. I personally like the Clever, since you can filter the coffee after steeping it.
The Clever is interesting I actually have something similar from Adagio teas: http://www.adagio.com/teaware/ingenuiTEA_teapot.html

I wonder if I could get a filter that would work in it.

another_jim
Team HB

#7: Post by another_jim »

Thanks for the lead on the ingenue-tea; definitely better than my assortment of crackpot teapots.

The Clever uses Melitta style mesh or paper filters. I use a mesh filter for brewing into ceramic. If i'm brewing into glass and want a clarified brew, I use a mesh filter inside a paper one. For some reason I don't get, the combo drains faster than paper alone.
Jim Schulman

Almico

#8: Post by Almico »

And if you don't have an Aeropress...just get one.

beanman

#9: Post by beanman »

I have a vacuum pot and really like it.
A Cory glass filter rod eliminates the need to clean a cloth filter, but can stall the pull down if grind is too fine.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by LBIespresso »

Almico wrote:And if you don't have an Aeropress...just get one.
+1

My first brewing device. Still use it regularly. So easy and so much info out there on different methods.
LMWDP #580