New Frei Press reminds me of the Impress (Kickstarter)

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
timdimdom

#1: Post by timdimdom »

hey all just thought i'd share a nifty little brewer i found on kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/93 ... fect-tempe

reminds me of the the impress which i actually really enjoyed using until the silicone cap started absorbing coffee, and i heard they couldnt scale their production to produce the same quality product that i received after backing.

thought i'd get your thoughts/comments before i jump and click back ;)

cheers
tim

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Sounds like Coffee Joulies + Espro travel press with the paper filter + an extra bit to make it easier to pull out the grinds.

Putting the phase change material in the brewing receptacle is going to lower the brew temperature unless the steep time is quite short. Having the material in the container avoids some of the issues with the Coffee Joulies, but I remain skeptical on how useful phase change material is in day-to-day usage for the volumes/drinking times of a (large) coffee. I just don't spend five hours drinking one coffee. Some folks do sip one large coffee, say, all morning, and this device may be of more interest to them.

Beyond that, at first glance, a nice double-wall stainless drinking container (ironically like the Espro Travel Press) + Aeropress + bypass brewing seems a more controllable, more flexible, and more convenient-to-use setup.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

CathyWeeks

#3: Post by CathyWeeks »

baldheadracing wrote: I just don't spend five hours drinking one coffee. Some folks do sip one large coffee, say, all morning, and this device may be of more interest to them.
My daughter would LOVE to take a second cup of coffee to school to have at lunch. As a HS student, she doesn't have easy access to coffee during the day.

iroast

#4: Post by iroast »

I think this is better than the Impress since this one incorporates a paper filter for a cleaner cup. With the Impress, I end with coffee particles towards the few final sips. This is more like the Aeropress, but with stainless steel body and mostly stainless steel plunger and it's a good workout for your thumbs.

Did they mean food-grade silicone? Silicon is something else :-)

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

CathyWeeks wrote:My daughter would LOVE to take a second cup of coffee to school to have at lunch. As a HS student, she doesn't have easy access to coffee during the day.
That's what a thermos does (better than this device can).
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

CathyWeeks

#6: Post by CathyWeeks replying to baldheadracing »

Oh, sure. And I just bought her one. (Great minds). Because, in the end, while she loves the good coffee that I make every morning, she's also happy with drinking instant, and instant goes into a thermos just fine. And a thermos is much cheaper. :-)

This would be great if she really wanted French Press coffee, without having to clean it up before she leaves for school. I have the Bobble Presse, which I like very much (but she doesn't - it takes so long to cool off that she burns herself every time I use them, a problem which the Frei apparently solves, AND the Frei Press has a leak-proof lid, which the Presse also doesn't have). So THIS device would be better for her, if she cared more about good coffee than she does.

iroast

#7: Post by iroast »

I didn't see that you have an Aeropress already. Use that and a good thermos. I have a Hydroflask 12oz. Works great.

Shife

#8: Post by Shife »

This reeks of spam. If Dr. Tim had been honest with his first post instead of spamming us with a "look what I just found" line of BS, I'd be more inclined to show interest in his product.

If you are pictured in marketing materials on Kickstarter, you didn't just stumble across this product. You are actively spamming it and misrepresenting yourself.