Need some advice with brewing exotic coffee

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
FieryShrimp
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by FieryShrimp »

Hey friends, a bit of a tough decision on my part that I'm offloading to you guys. I managed to get myself 200g of a very nice gesha and I'm not quite sure how to brew it with the least losses. I've got a Niche zero, v60, French press, ACS Vesuvius, Aeropress, hell even an ibrik for good measure. What would you recommend for getting the best possible cup with the least dialing in?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

V60 by a landslide.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

DoubleR
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by DoubleR »

I think Aeropress can be used as well. I think the most important is grinder though. Without the right grinder it's hard to get the best from these beans.
LMWDP #755

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

FieryShrimp wrote:What would you recommend for getting the best possible cup with the least dialing in?
Whatever method you are best at.

I'll always do a cupping cup first, even with as little as 7g of coffee.

Percolation is more efficient than immersion, so if you have a small amount of coffee, then all things being equal, you will get more extraction with percolation:
However, all things are rarely equal. If you have to dial in, then immersion more forgiving than percolation:
That being said, my pick for a brew method that would give me the best expression of a Geisha, at least a Panama from one of the famous farms, would be V60 like Tom, but I've brewed so much V60 - and a bit of Geisha - that after the cupping cup, I wouldn't have to do much dial-in, if any.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

simmich

#5: Post by simmich »

Depends on the age of the bean. If roasted yesterday I'd possibly do a corse grind (in a Zass) and Aero press. If the beans have a few days, V60 hands down.

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by ShotClock »

I'd vote for aeropress by a mile if you're using a niche zero. It's a far more tolerant method for a grinder that produces a bunch of fines. My v60s with the niche were always muddy and stalling.

I'd recommend a fine grind and fairly short steep 2 minute inverted aeropress. If you have a prismo, then use that in combination with a paper filter.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing »

The OP's profile says he has a 1ZPresso K-Plus ... why would he use his Niche with a Geisha?

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by ShotClock »

My mistake, didn't look at the profile...

SutterMill

#9: Post by SutterMill »

baldheadracing wrote:The OP's profile says he has a 1ZPresso K-Plus ... why would he use his Niche with a Geisha?
OP never stated he had a 1ZPresso KPlus. Only Niche.

Craig thanks for posting that video comparing immersion vs percolation. I would have guessed the opposite. Might be time to add a V60 to my lineup.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#10: Post by baldheadracing replying to SutterMill »

I'd say Kalita or Origami Air w/Kalita filters or some other flat brewer like the April is much easier to get good results faster. Figuring out pouring and getting consistent extractions from a V60 can take ... years :oops:. The "Mugen" V60 appears to be much easier to use, as is the W60, but I haven't tried either.

The K-Plus is listed under his user-id - but that info could be out-of-date :?:

If he only has the Niche, then I would consider is to grind super fine and use the ibrik - here's a detailed light-roast method (turn on subtitles):
★ Helpful