My pleasant surprise with the Melodrip

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
CwD

Postby CwD » Nov 29, 2018, 9:44 pm

I ordered a Melodrip a couple months ago, fully expecting everything they claim to be bs but wanting to test it out for myself. Don't want to call something stupid without giving it a fair chance. And damn was I wrong.

The coffee is delightfully clear, even at very high tds, and (combined with a crazy nice grinder) I can reach extractions higher than I thought reasonable. I'm talking >25% exty and brews of 1:17-1:20 that are stronger in tds than some of my 1:14-1:16 brews before. Not only without astringency, which I can avoid well enough with my grinder, but with clarity. In terms of taste, which is obviously going to be less objective, I love the clarity, the sweetness, the strength without low ratios, the ability to get perfect flavor notes out of coffees I only have one 15g sample of to brew.

I don't know why it does what it does, maybe the way it trickles the water on slowly stops it from undercutting the coffee so it has to percolate through better, maybe it just keeps the water up top more pure and ready to extract, I don't know. Here I thought it'd be snake oil at best, but damn does it do it's job well. I enthusiastically recommend anyone who likes pourover to check it out.

My singular complaint is the plastic body. I don't care what it costs to make a glass one, Melodrip, you make it and I'll buy it.

namelessone

Postby namelessone » Nov 30, 2018, 7:51 am

What recipe are you using? I wasn't too happy with my brews, even at high extraction it tasted quite flat. I thought maybe it has to do with temperature..

redbone

Postby redbone » Nov 30, 2018, 10:26 am

Pouring over a glass flower frog will do the same and aid in dispersion. You can then use a glass or ceramic pour over basket such as a V60 etc.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

CwD

Postby CwD » Nov 30, 2018, 2:36 pm

namelessone wrote:What recipe are you using? I wasn't too happy with my brews, even at high extraction it tasted quite flat. I thought maybe it has to do with temperature..

Their own Melodrip recipe, but slightly adapted. I basically printed out a big card with like ten different batch sizes and then three different finishing ratios for each that follow the basic guidelines. That way I can pour until the screen reads [X] instead of adding [Y] and lessen the mental math. Temperature I'm pouring 210, and only because I don't like how agitated 212 gets in the kettle.

redbone wrote:Pouring over a glass flower frog will do the same and aid in dispersion. You can then use a glass or ceramic pour over basket such as a V60 etc.

Interesting idea. Most of the ones I'm seeing in a quick search have too large and too few of holes, but I'll certainly be on the lookout. Thanks for the tip!

Mbb

Postby Mbb » Nov 30, 2018, 9:28 pm

They seem pretty proud of a piece of plastic with a few holes.

aecletec

Postby aecletec » Nov 30, 2018, 9:44 pm

I've also had great results using a holed wooden ladle, others have reported similar with an aeropress cap plus chopstick. There seems something to less agitation if dialed in... I had to go much coarser.

CwD

Postby CwD » Nov 30, 2018, 10:22 pm

Mbb wrote:They seem pretty proud of a piece of plastic with a few holes.

Anything sounds ridiculous if whittled down to the basest componets. It doesn't need to be complicated to work.

aecletec wrote:I've also had great results using a holed wooden ladle, others have reported similar with an aeropress cap plus chopstick. There seems something to less agitation if dialed in... I had to go much coarser.

As an alternative to going coarser, I simply increased my added water. I can get the same or higher strength at 1:18 or 1:20 as I did at 1:15-1:16 without it, and thus a much higher extraction with that. Without changing anything, however, could get a bit too strong pretty easily.

yakster

Postby yakster » Nov 30, 2018, 10:24 pm

A large glass honeycomb filter would be interesting, I can only find them in small sizes.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Ejquin

Postby Ejquin » Dec 01, 2018, 5:00 pm

I too have been using the melodrip almost exclusively for the last few months and really like it. I do 1:16 ratio. I also made a card with the ground coffee weight, weight of 80% of the total water weight and total water weight. Also, use 210 degrees water temp. I bloom with two pours each the same as the weight of coffee, wait about 35 seconds and then pour 10g water every 5 secs or so until I get to 80% of the total water weight, then do pours without the meodrip until the final weight is reached. Total brew time around 4 minutes.

This has worked well for me and does give a really clean cup with great flavor.

redbone

Postby redbone » Dec 07, 2018, 12:42 pm

Anyone try the OXO Good Grips Single Serve Pour Over Coffee Dripper with Auto-Drip Water Tank. This has a built in water dispersion system and takes a standard #2 Melitta filter.

See 40 sec mark here:
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549