My pleasant surprise with the Melodrip - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
happycat

#11: Post by happycat »

redbone wrote:Anyone try the OXO Good Grips Single Serve Pour Over Coffee Dripper with Auto-Drip Water Tank. This has a built in water dispersion system and takes a standard #2 Melitta filter.

See 40 sec mark here:
<video>
Pour over has continuous adding of hot water from a kettle
Immersion has all the hot water dumped into the coffee to steep

This has all hot water put into a nylon tank where it cools while it is drizzling out... I would expect it to do well with softening up dark roasts and cheaper coffees with the cooler water. Otherwise i would think the water is too cool.
LMWDP #603

dweekie

#12: Post by dweekie »

redbone wrote:Anyone try the OXO Good Grips Single Serve Pour Over Coffee Dripper with Auto-Drip Water Tank. This has a built in water dispersion system and takes a standard #2 Melitta filter.

See 40 sec mark here:
<video>
The dispersion area is actually limited with the OXO, but you could probably hold it in your hand and move it around. I think I timed it a bit over 2 mins for 300ml of water. The Glowbeans Master A seems like a a closer match to the Melodrip, but it holds 150ml of water at a time and drips into a Kalita 155 compatible dripper.

ira
Team HB

#13: Post by ira »

Mark Prince over at CG gave the Oxo a absolutely glowing review. Good enough I keep thinking I should retrieve the one I loaned my neighbor he never uses.

https://www.coffeegeek.com/proreviews/f ... vepourover

Ira

ihg90

#14: Post by ihg90 »

funny - I used this for the first time this morning for my weekend mid-morning single cup. I had been using the Bonavita Immersion setup (like the clever dripper but ceramic) - with the Bonavita you let the coffee & water sit in the filter, then release the clasp and let it drain into a cup. The OXO is just 'fill with coffee, set it on a cup, and pour water. I have to say, the OXO did a great job - I used 15g of coffee and about 185ml of water. I actually like it better than the Bonavita. Wish it was ceramic like the BV, but the results were good :-)

Eastsideloco

#15: Post by Eastsideloco »

aecletec wrote:I've also had great results using a holed wooden ladle, others have reported similar with an aeropress cap plus chopstick. There seems something to less agitation if dialed in... I had to go much coarser.
+1.

I was traveling recently and forgot to pack my little gooseneck pouring kettle. So I prepped my Kalita Wave and placed the AeroPress cap over the filter cone. With this setup, I could pour directly out of the electric kettle, which otherwise offers little pour control. The resulting coffee was good enough that I'll probably forego the gooseneck in the future, eliminating a bulky item from my travel kit.

erik82

#16: Post by erik82 »

dweekie wrote:The dispersion area is actually limited with the OXO, but you could probably hold it in your hand and move it around. I think I timed it a bit over 2 mins for 300ml of water. The Glowbeans Master A seems like a a closer match to the Melodrip, but it holds 150ml of water at a time and drips into a Kalita 155 compatible dripper.
I'm looking at the melodrip because the drawdown speed is so low with the Master A. The Master A in itself works nice but when I put it on top of my V60 it's just to slow. It takes 3:50min for 300gr of water to go through the Master A even without coffee. I do like the results I get with the Master A for some beans but still can't live without a V60 and than the drawdown is just too slow and I just keep using my Kalita gooseneck kettle.

CwD (original poster)

#17: Post by CwD (original poster) »

Just to note, expect to take 3-5min, all of it hands on time, for v60 Melodrip brews. The way it's supposed used just isn't a fast method with all the smallish pulses and draining fully between them.

redbone

#18: Post by redbone »

Think I will get this porcelain p.o. from Bialetti. Not based on reviews or because I need it, just because it's well designed in the classic 8 sided Bialetti style. Also by all accounts it looks like Bialetti is shutting down.

Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

erik82

#19: Post by erik82 »

CwD wrote:Just to note, expect to take 3-5min, all of it hands on time, for v60 Melodrip brews. The way it's supposed used just isn't a fast method with all the smallish pulses and draining fully between them.
That's very good information. In that case it won't be different from putting the Gabi A on my V60. This just saved me $80.

MonLon

#20: Post by MonLon »

Interesting thread.

I am looking for a simple tool to use at work, where a pourover with a gooseneck kettle will be too complicated.
The Gabi and the Oxo seem like a way to simplify things.
Can anyone compare the results between the Melodrip and either the Gabi Master A/B or the OXO?
How good are these tools for medium-light or light roast brews?

With the Melodrip, beside the improvement it makes in the taste, does it also make the overall process more forgiving?
And are the stir sticks that can be purchased with it necessary or a chopstick will have a similar effect?
erik82 wrote:I'm looking at the melodrip because the drawdown speed is so low with the Master A. The Master A in itself works nice but when I put it on top of my V60 it's just to slow. It takes 3:50min for 300gr of water to go through the Master A even without coffee. I do like the results I get with the Master A for some beans but still can't live without a V60 and than the drawdown is just too slow and I just keep using my Kalita gooseneck kettle.
What is the effect of the slow drawdown on the V60? and what kind of beans do not come out well because of it?