Monarch Methods Kettle - 2016 version

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

Monarch Methods announced changes to their kettles on Monday, December 14, 2015. I had ordered the smaller (320 ml) kettle a few months ago. Unbeknownst to me (and others), we were waiting for the revised units that started shipping after the Monday announcement. I received mine on that Friday.

The two major changes are a new lid and a cork cover that replaces the leather cover.

The new lid is quite heavy (61.6g) and now has a V cut and a concrete handle. The new lid fits in the opening as opposed to the old lid which went over the opening.

As an aside - you can see in the pics a bit of baby blue - that's not part of the kettle, that's a piece of silicone baking cup (IKEA Sockerkaka) that I slid in between the Aluminium plate and the kettle.

I used another piece of the baking cup to secure the old-school Taylor thermometer (sold separately) in the thermo-well. This keeps the thermometer in one position, making it easier to read. It also keeps the thermometer's tip floating above the bottom of the kettle. (After the pic was taken the piece was pushed down so that it is no longer visible.)

The cork cover is attached to an Aluminium plate via nutserts capped with washers and hex button-head bolts to capture the cork. The plate is not attached to the kettle.

So ... how does the kettle perform?

Sweet! 8)

Pouring control is, as expected and predicted, awesome. As for temperature control, the kettle uses the old-fashioned way - mass. The kettle is over 520 g. As with other (non-electric) devices that rely on mass to control water temperature, a strategy of filling with boiling water, holding for 20-30 seconds, pouring out and refilling again with boiling water, hold for a few seconds, and then pouring out and refilling again with boiling water to pour, yielded the highest temperatures on an analog thermometer. Temp graph:

ETA: After using the kettle for a few weeks, I have found that the second refill of the kettle doesn't get you much. Fill with boiling water, hold for 20-30 seconds, dump and refill with boiling water, and the water temp will hold right around 200F-202F for the entire pour.

Finally, I had a couple issues with the fit of the cork cover on my kettle. My hands are small, and the (old-man-flabby) skinfold between my thumb and forefinger was catching on the bolts holding the cork in place. Chris Chekan of Monarch got back to me in two days - on a Sunday even! - and sent me one of the old covers:

The old-style leather cover is a just a bit less effective at insulating than the cork, but I don't mind one bit. This kettle is a joy to use, and I am happy with it 8).
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Bob_McBob

#2: Post by Bob_McBob »

That seems like a pretty major design oversight. Personally I really preferred the look of the old leather cover and lid style and wouldn't be happy if they sent me this instead.
Chris

[creative nickname]

#3: Post by [creative nickname] »

Mine arrived this morning:

I haven't found the design problematic, but I hold it with thumb and forefingers rather than in my palm, so I don't really touch the bolt ends. My cork sleeve fits tightly enough that it doesn't move around in use, so I don't foresee many worries with the spout hole widening. I guess I got lucky? For reference I have the smaller kettle. It gives lovely pour control and holds a steady temperature around 202F when filled from the hot water wand on my Strega throughout the pour.
LMWDP #435

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

Would it be practical to fill the kettle with hot water and then further heat with a steam wand instead of having to fill it with hot water multiple times?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to yakster »

Yes, that should be the best (hottest) solution. Also, one can then start with flash-boiled water from the machine's boiler like Mark does.

I never thought of either possibility - perhaps as I don't make much espresso these days.

SonVolt

#6: Post by SonVolt »

Is the spout on the Monarch large enough to easily fill with the hot water wand of a typical E61?

doubleOsoul

#7: Post by doubleOsoul »

LOL, thought I had something new and exciting to post but I'm a little late. I'm excited to hear some feedback about these kettles.

[creative nickname]

#8: Post by [creative nickname] »

SonVolt wrote:Is the spout on the Monarch large enough to easily fill with the hot water wand of a typical E61?
I don't own an e61, but the Strega has a full-size hot-water wand and it fits neatly into the opening on top of the kettle.
LMWDP #435

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Some FYI: Chris Chekan first made his kettles when he was working at Pilot Coffee Roasters, to work with their brew methods (which he helped develop).

The MK500 was developed first, for Chemex:
The MK320 was developed for V60:
Thanks to [anonymized] for recently liking Pilot's other videos on Vimeo, and thus leading me to these.

Also, more than you ever wanted to know about Chris, Monarch, the kettle, brew methods, etc.: listen to http://ibrewmyowncoffee.com/9

SonVolt

#10: Post by SonVolt »

Does anyone know when the Monarch Methods copper kettles will be back in stock? I hope they're not closing up shop - my emails to them have gone unanswered for several weeks now.