Moka Pot silicone / Silica gaskets.

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
redbone

#1: Post by redbone »

Had to replace stiff gaskets in my 2 S.S. Moka pots this weekend and decided to cut my own from silicone sheet. Was going to purchase food grade sheet from Ebay but noticed sellers now offer ready cut silicone / silica gaskets for Moka Pots. Caveat when purchasing these as I was not aware that the size differs if the Moka Pot is aluminum vs stainless steel. Most sellers only offer the aluminum version while at least 2 offer the S.S. version. Here is an example.

Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549
★ Helpful

redbone (original poster)

#2: Post by redbone (original poster) »

The silicone and S.S. filter arrived late yesterday. This morning I cleaned and trialed fit and function. The silicone gasket was also of similar thickness and radius.
The S.S. filter fit was identical in radius but the metal thickness was thinner than the OEM and had a rougher surface feel where the holes were preferated. This didn't effect performance or notable taste.
Bonus with new gasket silicone vs older none silicone is that I don't anticipate much if any shrinking or hardening. Older gasket would fall out upon screwing top half on base of as shrunken gasket no longer held in place. This didn't happen with new gasket this morning.

Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

MDL

#3: Post by MDL »

Where did you find the range of options? I have not found silicone for my 12 cup...