Minimizing bypass with Breville Precision Brewer

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
luisguilherme

#1: Post by luisguilherme »

I've recently started following coffee ad astra on telegram, and stumbled upon this link:

https://coffeeadastra.com/2021/03/04/th ... rcolation/

One thing that he mentions is that one way to minimize bypass is by using a slow flow rate, but that is inconvenient and water will lose quite a bit of temperature in the process.

However, an automatic brewer removes these two issues: water is sent at a constant temperature regardless of flow speed, and it can keep a steady slow flow with no kettle holding required.

One thing that I thought is to use "my brew" option on the Breville with a slow flow. That should minimize bypass because the water won't accumulate above the bed. Is that assumption correct?

coffeemmichael

#2: Post by coffeemmichael »

Slow flow + larger (800ml+) batches on that unit always performed well for me, nice flat beds

DamianWarS

#3: Post by DamianWarS »

luisguilherme wrote:I've recently started following coffee ad astra on telegram, and stumbled upon this link:

https://coffeeadastra.com/2021/03/04/th ... rcolation/

One thing that he mentions is that one way to minimize bypass is by using a slow flow rate, but that is inconvenient and water will lose quite a bit of temperature in the process.

However, an automatic brewer removes these two issues: water is sent at a constant temperature regardless of flow speed, and it can keep a steady slow flow with no kettle holding required.

One thing that I thought is to use "my brew" option on the Breville with a slow flow. That should minimize bypass because the water won't accumulate above the bed. Is that assumption correct?
I think it minimizes bypass because coffee must travel through some of the coffee bed but I have a theory that water flowing through the coffee bed is always moving towards the sides then eventually bypass and not straight down. This is largely developed from observing the surface of the slurry and how it seems to be pulled to the sides. You can observe this is phenomenon quite clearly in Scott Rao's Lastest pourover video at about 3:00 min in. I have used bypass free brewers and observed the opposite phenomenon.