Metal pour over filter clogged

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
renburanto

#1: Post by renburanto »

I bought a glass jar with a brass double walled filter for pour over coffee last year. It's been making fine coffee but now the filter has become clogged. Coffee takes ages to drip through, to the point where the coffee now stays in the filter and does not drip through all the way at all.

Reading on internet I can see more people have issues with this, especially with the double walled metal filters.

I've tried the soaking in a water & vinegar mixture, this does not help.

Are there any ways to properly clean the coffee oils stuck in the filter? Or should I just accept this is a badly designed filter and buy a single walled filter which will be easier to clean?

I've been reading about sodium percarbonate, but don't think that's readily available here in the UK. And it might then be cheaper to get a new filter.

Thanks!

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

Something like Cafiza could work. If you don't have that you could possibly try dishwasher powder. It might tarnish the brass, however.
Scott
LMWDP #248

gocanes

#3: Post by gocanes »

I use Puro. Cafiza works too. Vinegar is good for descaling but not so good to clean the coffee residue clogging the filter. I soak mine in Puro every week when I clean my espresso machine.

happycat

#4: Post by happycat »

Trisodium phosphate (TSP) can be found in hardware stores in some places. A pinch of that in boiling water does wonders.
LMWDP #603

renburanto (original poster)

#5: Post by renburanto (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice!
I found a shop in Covent Garden that sells Sodasan Oxygen bleach, containing more than 30% Sodium Percarbonate. But als found an online shop that sells double the quantity of TSP for the same price.
Which of these two powders is safer to use on coffee equipment?

happycat

#6: Post by happycat replying to renburanto »

I don't know about the other one but TSP is fine if you use a little and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Be careful as it will degrease your hands too and dry them out. Check it out on Wikipedia. It used to be used a lot in soaps and cleaners. There are ecological implications. I found a small carton will last a lifetime as you only need a pinch or so. It's also good for degreasing walls before painting which is why I originally bought it.
LMWDP #603

keepitsimple

#7: Post by keepitsimple »

renburanto wrote:
I've been reading about sodium percarbonate, but don't think that's readily available here in the UK. And it might then be cheaper to get a new filter.

Thanks!
Oxiclean, Wizz - oxi and a variety of other similar products are on supermarket shelves and places like poundland. 30%+ sodium percarbonate.

I haven't used them to clean metal filters, but my Bodum (sort of) goldtone has been through the dishwasher lots of times, and comes up sparkling.