Melodrip - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
jesse

#21: Post by jesse »

On his blog, at some point earlier in the year, Scott Rao mentioned being part of the development of a device that sounds similar to this. Wonder if this is it..

jbviau
Supporter ★

#22: Post by jbviau »

I don't buy the idea that whatever small quantity of microparticles would make it through your pourover filter sans Melodrip truly matters at all for flavor separation. Clarity, yes, but trivially so. Hell, the brew method that gives me the most "high-def." coffee at home is metal-filtered (Trifecta). As for what you're able to taste/detect and "receptor blocking," etc., seems to me it's at least somewhat dependent on how you're *used to* brewing. Feel free to set me straight, y'all.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

aecletec

#23: Post by aecletec »

jbviau wrote: Hell, the brew method that gives me the most "high-def." coffee at home is metal-filtered (Trifecta).
Now that's interesting!

dr.need.coffee

#24: Post by dr.need.coffee »

namelessone wrote:I use a "ghetto" version of melodrip with the Kalita made with a chopstick and Aeropress cap and it works quite well.
Tried this as well and i agree, the result is noticably cleaner and sweeter with less acid and bitter. I was intrigued as well and my current hypothesis is that low agitation brewing does not disturb fines-attached-to-grounds (as mentioned here Taste impact of fines ) compared to normal agitation. Right now i experimented using low agitation brew with kruve shifter <400mcm and it tasted very bland and pretty much the same goes with normal pour. Curious about how much fine is too much, anyone have any thoughts?

namelessone

#25: Post by namelessone »

I have received mine now. The first brew was very sweet and clean, however kind of one dimensional and flat. Not much acidity or liveliness. Not sure If I should be going even finer? The water seems to drain much quicker when using it.

The build quality seems good and the little stick that comes with it is perfect for stirring.

Has anyone else played with it?

Ejquin

#26: Post by Ejquin »

I have one and have been playing with it. I agree with your assessment that it provides a very clean and sweet cup but at times can be flat. Which brew technique are you using? I found I actually prefer the method on the website here over the method on the package: https://melodrip.co/blogs/the-light-pou ... omplicated

This example uses smaller more frequent pours and doesn't use the Melodrip for the final pour.

Did you get the grind sample with yours? Looks on the fine side of medium-fine, so maybe try finer grind?

namelessone

#27: Post by namelessone replying to Ejquin »

Next brew was much better, using finer grind and more frequent pours and I managed to hit 22% EY, however still not very consistent. The one after that ended up at 19% somehow. I think it will work much better with a flat brewer, seems it's very easy to underextract using this method when using a cone brewer as I would guess some parts of the bed don't get hit properly.