Melitta style dripper in metal ?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
DanN

#1: Post by DanN »

Folks , though the current trend is hario ( cone style) or kalita wave ( flat bottom) style Drippers , I have been a loyal fan of the traditional "Melitta style clamshell dripper " . I have multiple plastic and ceramic versions from all over the world with and without fluting all influencing the end product. Was wondering if there are any metal versions out there ? I do see one in copper from "Kalita Japan", but not sure about the tin / nickel coating on the inside.
This #1 plastic filter with 4 holes makes the best single cup 10-12 oz coffee for me ....Look at the beautiful fluting on the sides ...whoever designed this knew coffee very well I guess ....

https://www.amazon.com/HIC-Coffee-Filte ... 013S2HYHS/

DamianWarS

#2: Post by DamianWarS »

I've seen a vintage 4 hole aluminum one but I don't think it's in production anymore, you might have to try ebay, for example, but expensive

DanN

#3: Post by DanN »

Thanks for the suggestion....I guess I shall have to go with copper if I cannot find the aluminum option....Wonder why they don't provide in more options ...

rmongiovi

#4: Post by rmongiovi »

Metal strikes me as a terrible option if you want to maintain the temperature of the coffee/water slurry. You'd be pouring the water into a heat sink.

Plastic is best since it's a good insulator. Even ceramic heats up and radiates a lot of heat. Metal would be the worst.

DanN

#5: Post by DanN »

I agree with you 100 percent. Plastic is the best for thermal advantage but is it safe ?. My Hario plastic dripper , the clear plastic dripper has ton of hairline cracks with just 1 year of usage....I love ceramic and glass as they are inert , but they break too soon . So metal was my best bet and is travel friendly also ....

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

Slim pickings, but I found this for you at Newegg.

Specification:
Material: Stainless Steel
Color: Silver
Top Diameter: Approx. 14.4 cm/ 5.67 inch
Height: Approx. 8cm/ 3.15 inch
Package Includes:
1 Piece Coffee Filter Holder
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jgood

#7: Post by jgood »

DanN wrote:I agree with you 100 percent. Plastic is the best for thermal advantage but is it safe ?. My Hario plastic dripper , the clear plastic dripper has ton of hairline cracks with just 1 year of usage....I love ceramic and glass as they are inert , but they break too soon . So metal was my best bet and is travel friendly also ....
The glass Hario is pretty durable -- if I travel I pack it wrapped in a few T shirts. (I hope this post doesn't jinx me!)

DanN

#8: Post by DanN »

Traveling with a glass dripper ....you must be a very brave soul ....I am certainly not....but glass is always a good option. agree with you there .

DanN

#9: Post by DanN »

Chris ....thanks so much for taking the time to do the research on this metal dripper ....much appreciated my friend !

rmongiovi

#10: Post by rmongiovi »

I'd assume by this time the hard plastic pourovers are BPA free, but they are still plastic. If you're amenable to food grade silicone I've seen collapsible drippers made for camping.