Matt Perger's technique with the Hario V60?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Goldensncoffee

#1: Post by Goldensncoffee »

So I picked up a V60-01 to try out what he does in that video. If you haven't seen it its this:

200ml water
12g coffee
Pour 50g bloom and stir
@:30 pour 50g
@1:00 pour 100g.
Total time 2:20

Anyone else doing this method? I had to grind extremely fine to get a 2:20 draw down. I have a Breville smart and I'm in the "espresso" range. Its not quite whats coming out of my SJ but its fine fine. The cup of coffee is excellent though. I'm drinking it right now. I think I was getting some sours with the chemex...longer drawdown times...and coarser grinds.

jesse

#2: Post by jesse »

Perger's is a really good baseline. I tinker w/ v60 a lot, and whenever I find myself lost down a wormhole of prep minutiae, I always come back to this basic formula.

That said, I tend to grind coarser and keep the pours slower and lower, to the point where a Rao Spin is basically unwarranted. Total time remains ~2:15 though.

LukeFlynn

#3: Post by LukeFlynn »

I prefer Perger's V60 technique out of all of them. I find it's the most straight forward to follow. I don't worry too much about the (visual) Rao spin.. I've had a lot of fantastic V60s that didn't spin! I do like to stir during the bloom, but not during the main poor, it gets in the way and probably doesn't do a whole lot. I also don't worry too much about the grams I'm putting in during each "pulse," I just pour a few times until I reach my target weight.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Goldensncoffee wrote:So I picked up a V60-01 to try out what he does in that video.
For easy reference, here's what I assume is the video in question:
Dan Kehn

amh0001

#5: Post by amh0001 »

Yes this is the baseline I use. I love it. The video is awesome and so is the music.

I do find that I have to go coarser to avoid clogging. I using 20 on my Baratza Encore. Anyone else using the Encore that can share their settig?

Goldensncoffee (original poster)

#6: Post by Goldensncoffee (original poster) »

Thanks for putting up the video Dan.

I hate to say this but...I think I was getting used to drinking sour coffee. Ever since I've been grinding finer/ using an 01 size v60 and using this technique my coffee is out of this world good. The acidity is crisp, and the flavors are so defined. I'm not sure I will ever go back to my Chemex. I'm still a little surprised how fine of a grind I need to achieve a 2:20 drawdown but what can I say...It works.

jesse

#7: Post by jesse »

w/r/t Rao-Spin: For a v60 prep that uses a finer grind like Perger's, I prefer a literal Rao-Spin (physically swirling the filter cone) to control the high & dry grounds rather than pouring all over the filter at the edges.

But as alluded to in my first post, I'm not totally sold on the idea of agitation and tend to have better results aiming for a zero-pour and keeping the slurry super low in the cone. I do stir the bloom, though.

Someone elsewhere on HB made the same observation and suggested aggressive pouring & agitation might not only be favorable but actually necessary with an ek43 as if I recall even Wendelboe (in his Pariscope video on YT maybe ?) was saying that with an EK specifically he pretty much couldn't over extract if he tried and has to go out of his way to achieve a great enough extraction, whereas with consumer grade grinders, even higher end models, this is certainly not the case.

I may be conflating TW's comment on manual brewing with his espresso video. I'll have to go back and clarify this point.

Edit: This isn't exactly what I was thinking about, but it does address the idea of increasingly more even particle size necessitating greater extraction (will not let me embed time-specific link for whatever reason. Please advance to 16 minutes):

mania

#8: Post by mania »

I pretty much do the same but 16gr coffee...no stir...220 time & 220 gr finished

But I do break up the pours the same way as Tetsu Kasuya describes in his 4/6 method

https://livestream.com/worldcoffee2/eve ... /127674589

rober1217

#9: Post by rober1217 »

amh0001 wrote:Yes this is the baseline I use. I love it. The video is awesome and so is the music.

I do find that I have to go coarser to avoid clogging. I using 20 on my Baratza Encore. Anyone else using the Encore that can share their settig?

I'm using 14 on the encore and getting a total time of around 2:10 using Perger's method.

rober1217

#10: Post by rober1217 »

Any hints on getting the rao spin? Haven't quite been able to get it. Nevertheless I'm getting excellent results with this method