Manual Batch Brewers for 1L+

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
SonVolt

#1: Post by SonVolt »

I typically use a V60 02 for 500ML or less of coffee. This works great for my personal use but I need something larger for when family and friends are over. I'm trying to avoid buying a drip machine so something manual would be preferred. I'd like to avoid a french press to avoid the extra cleaning steps between batches, would also like to avoid pour-over since I don't want to stand there and do a controlled pour with that much water while guests are waiting. I don't know if this exists, but a Clever style batch brewer would be absolutely fantastic. Dump the water in, set a timer, then drain into a carafe. Does anything like this exist?

What are my options for brewing 1-1.5L of coffee?

Richard

#2: Post by Richard »

SonVolt wrote:What are my options for [manual] brewing 1-1.5L of coffee?
Chemex has a 13-cup (handblown) brewer. Stated capacity of 65 ounces, which is 1,923 milliliters; it's a bit pricey. They have a 10-cup non-handblown brewer (much less expensive), capacity of 50 ounces or 1,478 milliliters.
-- Richard

Almico

#3: Post by Almico »

Buy a drip machine. That's what they are made for. A 1.5L immersion brew Clever or French Press is not a good solution with company at hand.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

Richard wrote:Chemex has a 13-cup (handblown) brewer. Stated capacity of 65 ounces, which is 1,923 milliliters; it's a bit pricey. They have a 10-cup non-handblown brewer (much less expensive), capacity of 50 ounces or 1,478 milliliters.
The larger Chemex brewers use the same cone filter dimensions and angle as the smaller ones and it's hard to keep brew times down to a reasonable time with the increase in bed depth. At this batch size, you're better off looking for a brewer with a flat bottomed basket filter.
Almico wrote:Buy a drip machine. That's what they are made for. A 1.5L immersion brew Clever or French Press is not a good solution with company at hand.
I agree with this, you won't have to wait around and pour during the brew and a drip machine will prevent temperature losses during the brew. If you're dead set against a drip brewer, a double-wall stainless steel press would work, but you have to deal with the cleanup.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

SonVolt (original poster)

#5: Post by SonVolt (original poster) »

Thanks everyone. Maybe I'll get an electric drip and store it away when not in use.

happycat

#6: Post by happycat »

Almico's suggestion is obviously practical.

That being said, I once took my 1 litre Chemex with a hand grinder and home roast to a party. It became part of the after dinner entertainment and someone even took pictures.

I also see giant moka pots in kitchen stores and wonder if anyone has used them.they are so entertainingly huge.
LMWDP #603

happycat

#7: Post by happycat »

SonVolt wrote:I typically use a V60 02 for 500ML or less of coffee. This works great for my personal use but I need something larger for when family and friends are over. I'm trying to avoid buying a drip machine so something manual would be preferred. I'd like to avoid a french press to avoid the extra cleaning steps between batches, would also like to avoid pour-over since I don't want to stand there and do a controlled pour with that much water while guests are waiting. I don't know if this exists, but a Clever style batch brewer would be absolutely fantastic. Dump the water in, set a timer, then drain into a carafe. Does anything like this exist?

What are my options for brewing 1-1.5L of coffee?
Check out Eva Solo. Available in 1 and 1.4 L
LMWDP #603

braxtonjens

#8: Post by braxtonjens »

Try a V60 03 size.
“Coffee is always a good idea”
LMWDP #617