Mahlkonig Tanzania for drip & French press

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Arpi

#1: Post by Arpi »

Today I am the proud owner of a Mahlkonig Tanzania. After some back and forth, I decided to get this one based on price, features and performance. I'll store away the hopper and I'll try to see if I can find a way to push the beans for the purpose of doing single doses.

The grinder came in a wood pallet and well protected. The hopper contained all the manuals, a brush, and a bag of grindz

The adjusting knob (it will do Turkish)

here next to the K10

A pic without the cover

I'll be test driving it on the weekend

Cheers

Arpi

#2: Post by Arpi »

Since the Tanzania is stepless, this morning I've been doing an espresso throwdown between the K10 and the Tanzania. I've been doing back and forth shots and the winner is the k10. The Tanzania had insipid flavors compared to the K10. The flavors from the k10 were more present at the lower end of the spectrum. Meanwhile the flavors from the Tanzania appeared more at the higher end blinding the lower end. The K10 flavors were more complex and fuller giving the whole spectrum of the coffee.

On the other hand, the Tanzania shines at Chemex (high coarse settings). Clean full flavor without signs of defects (bitterness, etc). I haven't use it yet in fine settings other than for espresso. That doesn't mean that it sucks at fine settings, only that I have no use for it as I am not planning to do Turkish.

The k10 and the Tanzania are two different worlds apart and they complement each other. Cosmetically, the two grinders also set apart. They have different roots. The Tanzania has straight clean lines (Northern Europe, geometrical and cad design) meanwhile the K10 is very curvy and has some some kind of art nouveau style (artsy,Catalan,Gaudi).

Cheers

Arpi

#3: Post by Arpi »

This is my new HomeDepot hopper for single uses (to avoid staleness). Beans stay in vacuum container.

The black base that comes with the factory hopper is essential for proper operation, as it pushes a spring loaded micro switch by means of the dust cover. To remove the black base, I used the tip of a flat screwdriver. From the inside of the hopper, I placed the tip between the black piece and the hopper. Then I twisted the screwdriver gaining leverage. It came out unmarked and it can be put back if needed. Thank goodness they didn't use strong glue.

The nominal outside diameter of the new hopper base needs to be 2.75" in order to fit perfectly in the black base. Down bellow the base it becomes 2.75" (2 3/4). In a trip to HomeDepot, I got a 2" PVC coupling (for 2" pipes) that somehow has the perfect 2.75" OD needed. I can now place 2" pipe if I ever need to increase size. I decided that since I only do little doses to just place a dust cup (2" plug)

Cheers

sweaner
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by sweaner »

Rafael, you are clearly insane! :wink:

Isn't this like purchasing a sidewinder missile for rabbit hunting? However, I will be happy to check it out at our next get-together.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Arpi

#5: Post by Arpi »

No complains here :D The missile launcher has found a good home. All I have to do now is read the instruction manual.

Cheers

Bob_M
Supporter ★

#6: Post by Bob_M »

Hi Rafael, and thanks for the tip...I have a Ditting 805 which appears to be Mahlkonig Tanzania rebadged...(I heard Mahlkonig bought out Ditting so it all would make sense).. I couldn't find the Coupler in pvc but did in black abs...i cut a small notch in the base of the coupler to accommodate a ridge that houses the the shaft for the metal slide in the hopper base...the diameter was a little less than 2.75" so i put three wraps of electrical tape around it...i'm glad i saw your post...i never would have tried it...

shadowfax

#7: Post by shadowfax »

sweaner wrote:Isn't this like purchasing a sidewinder missile for rabbit hunting? However, I will be happy to check it out at our next get-together.
I'm not particularly convinced based on pretty cursitory experience with non-espresso brew methods that this is very different from buying a big conical grinder for brewing espresso.

I'd be tempted to do the same (e.g. get a used Mahlkönig Guatemala and restore it), but I have no idea where I'd put such a beast in my little apartment.

That said, I've heard some negative things about the Tanzania with respect to its bag-shaker clanging against vessels you grind into (especially metal ones), and having static issues. I am curious what you find in this respect, Rafael. I am sure you can disable the back shaker pretty easily, of course.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Arpi

#8: Post by Arpi »

You can directly use filter cones as vessels (chemex or hario). Instead of a bag use the filter. Maybe the bag shaker is a blessing after all. If I get tired I'll remove it.

I guess I would chose plastic over metal, though I am guilty myself of using a frothing pitcher as vessels the first time. But I found no problems using metal pitchers as vessels.

There is some very light static issues (in my case). Don't know about what other people may encounter. I have a dehumifier and my sensor (very close to the grinder) is 47RH. Higher humidity levels should improve it somehow.

There was some study done about the particles distribution with this grinder, Uber project. I admit it is confusing to me.

Cheers

Arpi

#9: Post by Arpi »

Just so that there is no confusion, I've taken a pic of the teeth that holds the bags (or filters). In this pic, I am holding the clamp with my hand up (it is spring loaded).

As you can see, the vessel needs to be soft in order for the teeth to work. A metal container will not work very well because it is hard. But you can always hold it in the hand with no problems.

In this other pic, I've place a filter just for illustration purposes (chemex filters will also work)

Cheers

shadowfax

#10: Post by shadowfax »

Rafael, what's the retention like? Seems like it would be higher than other bulk grinder designs with vertically mounted burrs, but I imagine you solve it by vacuuming out the throat?
Nicholas Lundgaard