Looking for a good single serve coffee machine

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
nixter

#1: Post by nixter »

A friend reached out to me and asked if I could help suggest a single serve coffee machine. The main requirements are...

-No pods
-Simple and quick to use
-Small footprint

We discussed pre-ground vs a built in grinder, but due to the small footprint requirement, I think pre-ground is probably the way to go. I'm open to suggestions otherwise, if they are small.

She's a new mother and consuming a decent amount of coffee because of it, lol. This is the main reason it needs to be simple and quick to use.

P.S. I couldn't decide if this post was better here or in buying advice so please move if you see fit.

Cheers.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Compostable pods with an XBloom. While a great machine, it may be more than she's looking for. Do you have an idea of budget?

nixter (original poster)

#3: Post by nixter (original poster) replying to Jeff »

She would like to use coffee from one of our many local roasters. Cool looking machine though!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

You could pick up the Omni Dripper and filter paper to use local coffee with the xbloom.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

bznelson91
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by bznelson91 »

My vote is Clever Dripper. Pour in coffee and water, wait, drain, drink. If it weren't for the newborn angle, I would have suggested NextLevel Pulsar :)

(side note: I know I rave endlessly about the Pulsar, but I promise I'm not on the payroll - I just love the thing!)

Brad
★ Helpful

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

nixter wrote:-No pods
-Simple and quick to use
-Small footprint
... This is the main reason it needs to be simple and quick to use.
I'm not clear - electric or manual? There are a few "easy-to-use" manual brewers - Clever Coffee Dripper, Hario Switch, Hario Mugen, and Aeropress come to mind - but I would say that an electric brewer is simpler and quicker to use (especially if one needs that cup of coffee).

In electric, there are currently two small brewers that are SCA certified: https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer

1. The Moccamaster Cup One is the classic electric single cup brewer, but they're overpriced IMO and are limited to a 10 oz. cup.

2. The Bonavita BV-1500 '5-cup' (25 fl oz) brewer. I use this brewer on most days (albeit a modified one). The smallest dose that the stock basket will reliably extract is about 17g of a lighter roast (maybe 15g for a darker roast), yielding an 8 oz. cup of coffee.

Unfortunately, neither machine has a built-in timer. I believe that the Moccamaster can be put on a smart socket; the Bonavita works with a Switchbot.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

nixter (original poster)

#7: Post by nixter (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote: In electric, there are currently two small brewers that are SCA certified: https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer
Thanks for pointing me to that list! I have recommended the oxo 8 cup brewer to her. It's a little bit bigger but I think the small carafe option might be useful. Price is also a factor and Amazon has the oxo for 199.99 CDN. That might still be too much but we'll see what she says

AnotherADDiction

#8: Post by AnotherADDiction »

This one has a small footprint, I think around 200
https://behmor.com/brazen-plus/

I am also waiting for the level 4. I am using a hario mugen while I wait. No fuss, cheap

Grant

#9: Post by Grant »

I absolutely love my OXO Brew-8 and use it often for single serve cups.

It is not a dedicated single serve brewer as it does both a good 8 cup carafe (about 48oz, so 4 "large" cups) too, but also comes with a single serve cone basket holder as well. I use it with Kalita 185 filters. Mine brews as well at around 197 degrees.

Simplicity is all it has....fill a mug with water and dump it into the reservoir, insert the filter/grounds and push a button. Wait for the beep. It says "2-4" cups, but their "cup" is 6oz.

Grant

nixter (original poster)

#10: Post by nixter (original poster) replying to Grant »

Good to hear! She would prefer a reusable basket if that's available for the type of filter

EDIT: found this filter https://a.co/d/9az8xGy