Looking for a good single serve coffee machine - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#11: Post by baldheadracing »

nixter wrote:Good to hear! She would prefer a reusable basket if that's available for the type of filter

EDIT: found this filter https://a.co/d/9az8xGy
I wouldn't recommend a cloth filter to anyone who didn't understand how much time you have to devote to keeping the filters clean and mildew-free.

That being said, I like these hemp/cotton filters - and they're Canadian (and legal in Canada): https://pinyonproducts.com/
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

mwb5007

#12: Post by mwb5007 »

I see this desire come up often and can certainly appreciate it.

I guess somewhat depending upon the beans/expectations for a "cup", I have always gone back to manual and primarily for this reason - once you get your technique down (and there I a learning curve), the single biggest control factor for the "in the cup" experience is the control of the extraction elements (time, temp, saturation) during the beginning, middle and end phase of pouring.

There is a considerable amount of information posted here about how and what got on in each of thee phases of extraction but in short, the solubles in the coffee, which extract during different times during the brew, have corresponding flavor characteristics so you can really control your "in the cup" experience to bring out/ balance what you enjoy most about your coffee.

I do not have any experience with the new highly programmable electric makers which DO give you control over your time spent in each of these pours or phases and they may well work but for very little money you can play with and discover using any number of inexpensive device until you happen on the one that clicks for you.

Best of luck to you and your friend ..... I think it is always interesting to see the "easy coffee machine" idea discussed here among so many people who have come to make brewing a hobby/passion .... so there IS that route too.

Mat-O-Matic
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by Mat-O-Matic »

Cometeer could be an alternative. The pods are recyclable, vs compostable. I don't know that they work with any Vancouver roasters, but they do work with very good roasters. Looks to be an extremely convenient way to get good quality caffeine. When I had similar needs due to infants or travel, I made Toddy cold brew to last a few days then used an electric kettle to make coffee on demand.
LMWDP #716: Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Shakespeare »

nixter wrote:She would like to use coffee from one of our many local roasters. Cool looking machine though!
The XBloom has its own OmniDripper. This offers the option to use any coffee you want. I exclusively brew my own coffee beans using the Xbloom. I brew anywhere from 16 to 24 grams of coffee. It brews an excellent cup of coffee exactly as I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM1cP555xt4

CathyWeeks

#15: Post by CathyWeeks »

baldheadracing wrote: 2. The Bonavita BV-1500 '5-cup' (25 fl oz) brewer. I use this brewer on most days (albeit a modified one). The smallest dose that the stock basket will reliably extract is about 17g of a lighter roast (maybe 15g for a darker roast), yielding an 8 oz. cup of coffee.
That's the one I bought my daughter when she went to college (she's in her 4th year now). She used it for three years with no complaints, but then she was going overseas for a few weeks last summer and the apartment where she was staying came with an electric kettle. So we got her a Clever to take with her, and for a couple of weeks before she left, she and I learned to use it (it's really not much more work than using the Bonavita). She took the Clever, filters, and her small grinder with her to France and bought beans locally.

The coffee from the Clever is so good, that she quit using the Bonavita and has been using the Clever ever since.