Looking for a little help with my recent (1 year) horrible coffee - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
SutterMill

#11: Post by SutterMill »

Curious if you've tried coffee from a cafe yet?

I've experienced something similar where coffee tasted flat with little flavor. Almost like bitter water. This was at home and several shops. I took a month break from coffee and refine sugars which really helped bring the flavor back.

Drewskie (original poster)

#12: Post by Drewskie (original poster) »

That's on my list, and I've definitely been considering the break from coffee even though I really don't want to. I have a feeling that will help but I'm still perturbed that I can't make a decent cup, especially because I was able to so easily before.

Also, you hit the nail on the head, it's just bitter water across all my coffees.

Advertisement
kushkush

#13: Post by kushkush »

Have you tried cupping the coffees? Have you drank any (decent-good quality) tea recently?

#14: Post by Drewskie (original poster) replying to kushkush »

I have not. Also, not a huge fan of tea.

skink91

#15: Post by skink91 replying to Drewskie »

Well, you used to be a huge fan of coffee... maybe your tastes are changing? It does happen.

SutterMill

#16: Post by SutterMill »

Any chance during covid your coffee intake increased by a few cups?

#17: Post by Drewskie (original poster) »

Nope, always just one a day, in the morning. Although, recently I've had to dump out a few cups and remake them until it's passable.

Advertisement

#18: Post by Drewskie (original poster) »

Quick update, but not a positive one, unfortunately. Since my pour overs have been so bad lately, I've gone to straight using the Bonavita Bv1800 which also used to make a really good cup of coffee. I'm still getting the same results, really boring and flavorless coffee so I'm definitely starting to think something is wrong with my mouth.

What are the chances I am grinding too fine we're just leaving to under extraction? I really don't think that's the case, but otherwise I'm out of ideas.

I've tried a few different waters in the last week yet get the same results with all of them.

CoffeeIsWeird

#19: Post by CoffeeIsWeird »

Your symptoms at home match my symptoms at home.

And yet the coffee at coffee shops tastes delicious. Have you tried visiting a coffee shop yet?

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#20: Post by Milligan »

Just for fun, have you tried buying a crappy, grocery store coffee? Get some Cafe Bustelo or other $4-5 unflavored coffee and give that a go. I think there can be palate fatigue when tasting great coffees. I know I can nit pick a coffee and not fully enjoy it but then a friend will taste it and say it is the best coffee they ever tasted, didn't know coffee could taste like that, Wowzers, etc.