Light roast coffee for pour-over, how long do you wait. - Page 4

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Acavia (original poster)

#31: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

zefkir wrote:Your local roasters are far from a country far away from mine.
And it turns out, some of the roasters that are from "countries" far away saying you need to rest are fairly close to me and offer next-day shipping. :mrgreen:
He is probably referring to Nordic-roast level roasters, when stating far away. They as well as the very light roasters in US, recommend ~2 weeks for resting.

erik82

#32: Post by erik82 »

And Wendelboe is in Norway and I live in the Netherlands and it only takes 1-2 days to get the coffee here and still they advice to let it rest for a bit longer. I always have it at home for a week before I use it.

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
zefkir

#33: Post by zefkir »

I'm in Europe, La Cabra who is known to recommend extended rest, isn't too, far from me, ship next day to my doorstep. Three days if I take the cheap free shipping option.

I have another roaster, who I can walk to (it's a loooong walk though), who says their all beans peak between three and seven weeks. So...

And just for fun, if you live in British Columbia, Luna still says you have to wait before brewing.

Rjreusch

#34: Post by Rjreusch »

In my much less than expert opinion, two things are happening with the rest (as has been mentioned earlier). One, coffee is oxidizing/aging/losing flavor and aroma (a bad thing); Two, it's releasing CO2 which when trapped in the bean may cause sourness as carbonic acid (a good thing to get rid of CO2). So resting becomes a balance of the two opposing processes. The good thing is that process One may be rather slow at the beginning (except maybe for aroma loss) when in a one-way valve bag and the CO2 environment. Waiting for every bit of CO2 to escape would be good in one way but probably more than counterbalanced by process One. Drinking immediately after roast is great for freshness but probably more than counterbalanced by process Two. For MOST filtered coffee it seems the most common approach is waiting 7-14 days off roast. It's not the same for all beans because the two processes can happen at different rates for different beans and roast levels. I wait 7 days typically on my pour-over coffee which are typically rather light roasted. Maybe longer would be better but this seems to work pretty well and I usually run out of patience. I'm wondering how the bloom factors into this. The more CO2 you can expel without dissolving in the water the better (it would seem to me). The other factor I'm not sure about is whether there is actual flavor development occurring after roast besides the release of CO2. If so, it would further encourage a rest period. To make factors even more complicated, your water chemistry may play a role. If your alkalinity is on the high side maybe any carbonic acid could be neutralized and shorter rests might be better???? OK, I'm going totally off the rails now. Maybe my point is that it's very understandable that we are getting all sorts of different opinions on this issue. In the end the best way to decide is to go by your taste buds.

Orange

#35: Post by Orange »

At this point, like one month lol. Used to have a queue of about 2 weeks that sit in my coffee cabinet, but somehow that grew and it's stayed that way. But I'm really enjoying the 1 month post roast life so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯