Light roast coffee for pour-over, how long do you wait. - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
ojt

#21: Post by ojt »

boren wrote:I think the wildly different views on this thread are due to the method of roasting. Home roasted coffee using a hot air roaster like the Gene Cafe tends to age much quicker than commercial roasts. I can enjoy home roasted coffee that's only 3 days old. Not so much commercially roasted coffee. With coffee that's 3 weeks old it's the exact opposite.
Nope, only commercial roasts here :) Of course we aren't factoring in methods of storage and many others factors too.

Edit: actually I have a counter example for you, maybe. I recently had a bag of light roast (they said) ethiopian natural that was really dense, so I think their roaster is something comparable to an air roaster (fluid bed?). This coffee seemed to just go on and on. Fruity and sweet from the very start to about 3 weeks of age. Took me a while to finish it as I had a bunch of coffees open for some reason.
Osku

erik82

#22: Post by erik82 »

Mbb wrote:Nope. As coffee ages it tastes.....flat....one dimensional. When fresh, flavors are hitting all the tastebuds on your tongue. It seems "full, rounded". As volatile compounds are lost, and oxidation degrades others, it tastes flatter, more uniform, less sweet, less complex.
Totally disagree. When a good quality light roasted coffee is really fresh it tastes flat and one dimensional and after around 7-10 days it starts to florish and be complex. And if you think light roasts are old in 3-4 weeks then you're completely wrong. And in this case ask all of the real professionals and you'll get the same answer.

tennisman03110

#23: Post by tennisman03110 »

I almost never wait long enough, as hard as I try. Usually open a bag about 7-10 days after roast.

It takes me 2-3 weeks to finish 12 ounces. More often than not, they get better (I also dial in my brewing).

When I get a 2 pound bag, used for only pour-over, I hardly ever notice a quality dip even after 6+ weeks.

Mbb

#24: Post by Mbb »

erik82 wrote:Totally disagree. When a good quality light roasted coffee is really fresh it tastes flat and one dimensional and after around 7-10 days it starts to florish and be complex. And if you think light roasts are old in 3-4 weeks then you're completely wrong. And in this case ask all of the real professionals and you'll get the same answer.
Believe what you want .
Weeks three and four sure look like garbage to me
And this was on a light roast that you got a wait a little longer
Coffee goes bad quickly
Agrees perfectly with my experience
By 4 weeks it's crap.

Only id move this chart up a few days for most coffee i drink. Peaks a bit sooner

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#25: Post by LBIespresso »

I find it amusing when local roasters say you need to consume coffee soon (helps you buy more)
I find it amusing when roasters from countries far away tell you coffee is fresh well beyond the 2-3 weeks it takes to ship it to you.
I find it most amusing when people tell others that they are wrong for liking how something tastes :lol:

In my experience (warning: anecdotal data...not science!) I have had coffees from roasters thought by many to be at the top of their game that aged well and improved with time and some that have not. Go figure...
LMWDP #580

erik82

#26: Post by erik82 »

It's common knowledge by all coffee professionals like Wendelboe, Howell, Hoffman, Perger etc that coffee needs to degas and settle to develop it's full potential and they've won World Barista and Roasting Championships. When still degassing in the first 5-10 (dependend on roast level) the flavours are muted. But Mmb seems to have a far better knowledge about that then all those professionals :wink: . I'd like to see where he gets this evidence from as the opposite has been researched and is common knowledge for years.

zefkir

#27: Post by zefkir »

Your local roasters are far from a country far away from mine.
And it turns out, some of the roasters that are from "countries" far away saying you need to rest are fairly close to me and offer next-day shipping. :mrgreen:

Mbb

#28: Post by Mbb »

erik82 wrote:It's common knowledge by all coffee professionals like Wendelboe, Howell, Hoffman, Perger etc that coffee needs to degas and settle to develop it's full potential and they've won World Barista and Roasting Championships. When still degassing in the first 5-10 (dependend on roast level) the flavours are muted. But Mmb seems to have a far better knowledge about that then all those professionals :wink: . I'd like to see where he gets this evidence from as the opposite has been researched and is common knowledge for years.
You know a varista championship is more about showmanship than anything else....
And if you follow it, youll find out that it's almost random to win...... The best cannot even do it consistently.
Not with the tedious special routines and pours and special roasts..... It's still a crap shoot for them.

So do they actually know what they're doing or do they just get lucky?

You know Rao? You know he got his start by taking all the information other people put on message boards including this one...... Then proclaimed it as his own.

Don't worship false idols

Mbb

#29: Post by Mbb »

erik82 wrote:It's common knowledge by all coffee professionals like Wendelboe, Howell, Hoffman, Perger etc that coffee needs to degas and settle to develop it's full potential and they've won World Barista and Roasting Championships. When still degassing in the first 5-10 (dependend on roast level) the flavours are muted. But Mmb seems to have a far better knowledge about that then all those professionals :wink: . I'd like to see where he gets this evidence from as the opposite has been researched and is common knowledge for years.
You know a barista championship is more about showmanship than anything else....
And if you follow it, youll find out that it's almost random to win...... The best cannot even do it consistently.
Not with the tedious special routines and pours and special roasts..... It's still a crap shoot for them.

So do they actually know what they're doing or do they just get lucky?

You know Rao? You know he got his start by taking all the information other people put on message boards including this one...... Then proclaimed it as his own.? Actually pissed a lot of people off.

Don't worship false idols too much

Theres a lot of variables involved in coffee. But the only thing that matters is do you like what you're drinking. And the people selling stuff...... Including information.....are biased.

99.5% The people are perfectly happy with their grocery store stale flat coffee even brewed in a percolator.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#30: Post by LBIespresso »

zefkir wrote:Your local roasters are far from a country far away from mine.
And it turns out, some of the roasters that are from "countries" far away saying you need to rest are fairly close to me and offer next-day shipping. :mrgreen:
:lol:

So now you must wait weeks before opening a bag from a local roaster and drink stale coffee from afar!
LMWDP #580