Lifting the Kalita Wave off the cup it sits on fixes the stalling issues?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
cactus_farmer

#1: Post by cactus_farmer »

I have realized that on the occasions when my Kalita Wave (Tsubame stainless steel edition if that matters) stalls - lifting the brewer up about 5mm off the cup it is sitting on causes the flow to resume again.

Why is this happening? Does the seal between the bottom of the Wave and the rim of the cup suction the paper filter down and cause clogging of the drainage holes?

Do you guys find the same thing happening?

bobR

#2: Post by bobR »

I thought there was a vent hole in the rim of the Kalita Wave to prevent that type of thing. The vent hole would need to be inside of the cup or carafe rim. But I don't own a Kalita.

Stanford55

#3: Post by Stanford55 »

What size are you using? My 155 would stall quite frequently with about 22g of beans, especially with darker, oily roasts (perhaps that's a high dose, I'm not sure). It's currently packed away in a recent move so I got the 185 just to experiment; so far it drains much better regardless of roast, even with higher doses and (I think) I'm getting more flavorful cups with more clarity, which doesn't make sense, but it seems like it.

gabeholloway

#4: Post by gabeholloway »

My guess is that even that slightest bit of movement of lifting the brewer disturbs the grounds enough to increase flow.

Yan

#5: Post by Yan »

I think Mr. Scott Rao already talk about that issue...
He add a mesh tea strainer

cactus_farmer (original poster)

#6: Post by cactus_farmer (original poster) »

The ironic thing was that I got the Tsubame stainless steel version of the Wave based on this article;

https://coffeechronicler.com/kalita-wav ... nt-review/

Which indicates that the regular stainless steel Wave has a stalling issue which the Tsubame version addresses and fixes. However - I never got any stalling issues with my normal Wave (and I have never used the draining mesh hack either) whereas I am getting some stalling with the Tsubame version!

#7: Post by cactus_farmer (original poster) »

Just made two brews back to back - same beans, grinder, grind setting, technique and pour timings, filter paper, dose...etc...

Kalita Wave Tsubame stainless steel took 5mins
Kalita Wave standard stainless steel took 2mins 30secs

No mods or hacks used on either brewer.

Maybe I got the unicorn standard Kalita Wave - continues to never stall on me and in fact usually draws down faster than my V60. Going to be using this one from now on and may be selling the Tsubame edition...

baldheadracing
Team HB

#8: Post by baldheadracing »

cactus_farmer wrote:I have realized that on the occasions when my Kalita Wave (Tsubame stainless steel edition if that matters) stalls - lifting the brewer up about 5mm off the cup it is sitting on causes the flow to resume again.

Why is this happening? Does the seal between the bottom of the Wave and the rim of the cup suction the paper filter down and cause clogging of the drainage holes?

Do you guys find the same thing happening?
Try a brew with a chopstick or similar under the lip of the Tsubame to prevent the bottom of the brewer's base from sealing against the lip of the cup. The seal creates back pressure, which stalls flow.

I have the Tsubame 155 Copper and use it with hand-thrown cups to avoid creating the seal. The Tsubame are fully finished so they will create a seal with resulting back pressure with a flat machine-made cup. This demonstrates the precision of the metal-work compared to the regular metal Wave. The cone in the regular wave is not as well-fitted to the base (which allows for pressure release).

The collapse of the bottom of the filter against the top of the base of the brewer is a different issue, which is discussed on the Coffee Chronicler's article.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

#9: Post by cactus_farmer (original poster) » replying to baldheadracing »

OK - so how do you do it - have the whole Tsubame balance on one chopstick? Seems a bit precarious. Also when swirling it around to flatten the bed, the chopstick surely gets in the way?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#10: Post by baldheadracing »

Try a paperclip or a toothpick. It doesn't matter what you use, you just want to prevent the brewer from forming a seal between the base of the brewer and the lip of the cup.

As an aside, I generally don't swirl. I really wouldn't recommend swirling with Wave filters - seems like a good(bad) way to create eddy currents around the pleats and potential localized over-extraction. YMMV.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada