Letting coffee cool to near room temperature

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Acavia

#1: Post by Acavia »

I drink coffee cooler than most people drink coffee- about 15-20 minute after brewing. Hot coffee taste same to me, masking its flavors and I prefer to drink coffee, not sip it, so I let it cool off some. Today, I waited much longer, and it was very good.

I was drinking Wendelboe Nacimiento Bourbon today. Drinking it normally, 15-20 minutes after brewing, it seemed like a very good coffee that most people would really like but was not my taste. I mainly like African/fruity coffee and this one was more rich, smooth and traditional coffee taste. Again, it was a good coffee and I liked it; I just wish it was a fruity coffee.

Not really liking that kind of coffee, I let the second cup sit much longer than normal instead of drinking it right after the first. More cool, just faintly warmer than room temperature, it tasted like a milk-chocolate, sweet syrupy, coca drink. Very good but I would think it was coffee with cream and sugar, if I did not know it was black.

Tim Wendelboe recommends letting coffee cool to bring out its true taste more. I suspect he means letting it cool as I normally do, 15-20 minutes, but maybe he meant as much as I let this one cool - that would make sense as much as it brought out in this coffee.

Anyone else find coffee better letting it cool a lot?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

I make my morning Americano, set it by my computer & go feed the dogs & make my breakfast. By the time I drink it the coffee has cooled to room temp or just above. I find that this is when I can taste all the flavors in the brew. The rest of the day it's straight double shots which I let cool long enough to enjoy the flavors but before all the crema is gone.
LMWDP 267

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by LBIespresso »

I feel like it says a lot about a roast when the coffee does not still taste good once it has cooled to room temp.

One of my measures of how successful my roasting of a coffee was is how it tastes at room temp. For this reason I often do a large pour over for myself just so I can taste it at many different temps.
LMWDP #580
★ Helpful

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

With my normal cleaning rhythm and unheated cups, my espresso shots are around 55°C when I drink them. For me, that's a great balance between being able to taste them and having the warmth on a chilly morning.

There are "myths" around espresso getting bitter when it is cool. My belief is that it was bitter to start. You just couldn't taste it.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by LBIespresso »

Jeff wrote: There are "myths" around espresso getting bitter when it is cool. My belief is that it was bitter to start. You just couldn't taste it.
This is likely why McDonalds served their coffee hot enough to cause 2nd degree burns :lol:
LMWDP #580

Randy G.

#6: Post by Randy G. »

Cold coffee reveals a LOT about its true nature. Heat can cover a multitude of defects.
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
*20th Anniversary 2000-2020*

learncoffee

#7: Post by learncoffee »

Here is a quote from "another_jim" from the thread below:
"As a matter of long experience, the cooler the cup the gets, the less extracted it tastes. The roast flavors predominate early. The origin tastes come out as the cup cools. So remember a simple slogan when cupping. Judge the roast quality when the cup is hot; judge the bean quality when the cup cools."

The thread is about cupping, but I am guessing the principle is the same.

Cupping overextraction?

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
Acavia (original poster)

#8: Post by Acavia (original poster) » replying to learncoffee »

Interesting. I am wondering if that hot/warm/cool taste could be a method to measure over-extraction by taste. If a coffee gets noticeably better after it cools, then perhaps that means it was over-extracted.

jesse

#9: Post by jesse »

I won't touch my cup until it's cooled to ~120° F.

To that end, I do v60 brews straight into a Stanley double wall ceramic lined mug containing three stainless whiskey cubes. Pop out the whiskey cubes, put the top on the mug, and the temp stays right in the sweet spot (120-113° F) for a good twenty minutes.