Lattes with Moka pot

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Sandyr10

#1: Post by Sandyr10 »

Has anyone seen the James Hoffman video on the Moka pot, and how to use it properly? He shows how to make a latte with it, although using less milk since the coffee from a Moka pot is a little weaker. I'm curious if anyone makes lattes like this and how they compare to espresso based lattes. I'm wondering if you lose any clarity this way or if it's just as good? I have a robot currently but have not mastered it yet

jpender

#2: Post by jpender »

I'm not a milk drink person but I can tell you that Moka pots usually make coffee in the 2 to 2.5% strength range. An espresso is usually in the 5-10% range. So you'll be working with coffee that is at best half as strong as espresso.

DamianWarS

#3: Post by DamianWarS »

Sandyr10 wrote:Has anyone seen the James Hoffman video on the Moka pot, and how to use it properly? He shows how to make a latte with it, although using less milk since the coffee from a Moka pot is a little weaker. I'm curious if anyone makes lattes like this and how they compare to espresso based lattes. I'm wondering if you lose any clarity this way or if it's just as good? I have a robot currently but have not mastered it yet
the Hoffmann/Chefsteps video I think is a great mokapot how to video that people often miss because it's not on hoffmann's channel. I use to make lattes like this before I had an espresso machine and before things like the Aeropress were invented (early 2000s). I'll admit the coffee that came out of it was not good and I could have used that video for help not to mention I would have been using grocery store coffee which today I urge at the mere thought of it. It was a pass at the time but today I would probably not agree.

I fell in love with lattes from a trip to Italy drinking it every morning at a small boutique hotel. it was made with a mokapot into a large serving pot mixed with hot milk to just take as you want and I remember the coffee was magical (but admittingly it was probably more the environment than the coffee). But it is a common morning drink in Italy at the home (as well as other parts of Europe) and made with a mokapot and stovetop heated milk. So I like that sort of grassroots feel to it.

I don't have a mokapot anymore but I would like to try it again using better coffee and technique. I think you could probably get a decent latte out of it, it takes some times to perfect texturing milk using a french press. I tend to press it wildly until it's really foamy, pour into a steaming picture and scoop out extra foam to get it to the right consistency (then tap, swirl, etc). I think if the mokapot was done well it can make a tasty latte.