Large Pourover/Emersion Brewer Besides Chemex

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
mlunsford27

#1: Post by mlunsford27 »

Hi Folks, I am currently using a 10 cup chemex to make coffee for myself and my wife (paired with my Baratza Vario w steel burrs for grinding). I have been making large pourovers (750-850 ml of water) as we drink like 4 cups of coffee between the two of us.

I wanted to see, are there any large pourover/emersion brewers that people like besides chemex? I have been getting decent results with the chemex but want to see if there is something else that people like better, or just something else to play with.

EvanG

#2: Post by EvanG »

I've got the size 03 plastic v60 for larger brews (around 850ml) and I prefer it to the Chemex personally. I like that I can grind finer with the v60 filters and I've always run into "suction" issues (filter creating vacuum type effect with side walls) with the Chemex. I follow James Hoffman's most recent v60 method he released on his YouTube channel.

Advertisement
mlunsford27 (original poster)

#3: Post by mlunsford27 (original poster) »

Ok good stuff, I'll look at the size 03 V60.

What about something like a kalita wave or other flat bottom brewer? Can anyone comment on what is the largest amount that can be brewed in these effectively?

#4: Post by mlunsford27 (original poster) »

Bonmac would be another one that is flat-bottomed with a hole(s) but I couldnt think of the name

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

On the immersion side, I use a large Espro press. Serves as a great serving vessel as well. Using a standard flat-bed paper filter between the Espro's two stages of filtration gives a very clear cup.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

jbviau
Supporter ★

#6: Post by jbviau »

Another method to consider: Eva Solo makes a 1.7-liter carafe.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

njw

#7: Post by njw »

https://www.amazon.com/BUNN-Brew-Funnel ... B00DBOPOU8

for larger batches (60:1000, 72.5:1250 etc), I will use the above flat bottom with the matching bunn filters or the plastic hario v60-03. given that doses greater than 25g are not optimal within the v60 geometry, I will mitigate the need to grind coarser by keeping the grind about the same fineness but decrease agitation by using the gabi master b.

Advertisement
rockethead26

#8: Post by rockethead26 »

baldheadracing wrote:On the immersion side, I use a large Espro press. Serves as a great serving vessel as well. Using a standard flat-bed paper filter between the Espro's two stages of filtration gives a very clear cup.
Ah, I hadn't thought of the paper filter idea with my Espro to solve the slightly muddy cup. Thanks for that idea!

#9: Post by mlunsford27 (original poster) »

njw wrote:https://www.amazon.com/BUNN-Brew-Funnel ... B00DBOPOU8

for larger batches (60:1000, 72.5:1250 etc), I will use the above flat bottom with the matching bunn filters or the plastic hario v60-03. given that doses greater than 25g are not optimal within the v60 geometry, I will mitigate the need to grind coarser by keeping the grind about the same fineness but decrease agitation by using the gabi master b.
So the Gabi Master B helps reduce drawdown time? Do you use one long pour for a 1 L brew or several pours? How long does it take to pour all of your water?

kruzilla

#10: Post by kruzilla »

There's also the Sowden Softbrew (which does both hot and cold brew) and the Eva Solo (which I'd be happy to sell to you since I never use mine).