Large Pourover/Emersion Brewer Besides Chemex - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
njw

#11: Post by njw »

mlunsford27 wrote:So the Gabi Master B helps reduce drawdown time? Do you use one long pour for a 1 L brew or several pours? How long does it take to pour all of your water?
i wouldn't say it directly reduces drawdown time but by directly reducing agitation, it mitigates the need to grind coarser for a larger batch.

so i typically do 20:340 or 25:425 in around 3 min or 3:30 respectively when i'm at home. when i make a batch to take to work, i actually keep the grind size the same but do 50:850 and it takes about 4-430, but because of the lower agitation, it's not muddy or channeled (bitter, astringent)

r.rowlan

#12: Post by r.rowlan »

I really enjoy the December Dripper. Almost identical to the Kalita Wave, but is adjustable in the flow rate.

Yan

#13: Post by Yan »

With my Apex Grinder V.60-03 using 60/1000ml most of the time less than 4m:30s brew time, for kalita wave 02 it's too long for more than 750ml and the water bed is too high...if we push the grind too coarse the end results a bit watery.

Large batches normally I use 8 cup Chemex or V.60-03...

mlunsford27

#14: Post by mlunsford27 »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ended up getting a V60 03 and have been enjoying it once I got it dialed in for a 68g / 1020 ml brew. Very good results for my taste, I think a bit better than the chemex, although I think that is still good.

DamianWarS

#15: Post by DamianWarS »

mlunsford27 wrote:Hi Folks, I am currently using a 10 cup chemex to make coffee for myself and my wife (paired with my Baratza Vario w steel burrs for grinding). I have been making large pourovers (750-850 ml of water) as we drink like 4 cups of coffee between the two of us.

I wanted to see, are there any large pourover/emersion brewers that people like besides chemex? I have been getting decent results with the chemex but want to see if there is something else that people like better, or just something else to play with.
just get a thermal carafe and make a bunch of whatever you want to do at once. the coffee stays hot and fresh for hours.

yakster
Supporter ❤

#16: Post by yakster »

We ran out of Reverse Osmosis bottled water and with the current climate I haven't bothered to go out and refill the bottles. I stopped using my Behmor BraZen brewer because of the hard San Jose water, so I've been trying alternate brew methods for large batches. Now that my Wife is sheltering at home I suddenly have three regular morning coffee drinkers rather than just two.

First I tried the Kalita Wave 185 Style carafe with the Kalita filters, but the draw down was taking a long time with 750 ml water and 50 g coffee. I swapped out the Kalita filter basket for a Kone Gen 3 metal filter cone, but it didn't improve all that much. Thinking about it, I had the ideal large batch brewer under my nose that I hadn't previously considered, my Yama 8 stovetop siphon with the Silex Lox-In glass filter rod.

This morning, I brewed up a batch with 1 liter of water and 66.6 grams coffee, steeped the coffee for two minutes, and then pulled it from the heat and enjoyed the coffee. It was hot so I had to let it cool, but it's a good alternate method of brewing for me using tap water. Cleanup is a lot more involved, but I've got more time now anyway.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

mlunsford27

#17: Post by mlunsford27 »

Interesting, so that's a siphon brewer?

Also, I wanted to provide an update: I got the V60 03 and was at first using a Bloom + 1 main pour (like the Rao V60 method) but I found the results inconsistent and difficult to get proper extraction. I switched to a bloom + 3 main pours and this has been much better. The body is just right, there is a certain warmth about it that I was missing with the 1 main pour, and I am able to hit the right extraction almost every time.

here is the recipe

68 g coffee ground at 7Q on a Baratza Vario, aligned, with Brew Burrs
1020 g water
204 deg F water
Start a timer and pour 150 g for a bloom, stir gently with a stir stick to get all grounds wet.
At 1:15 start the first main pour. Pour 290 g in 30 seconds (note I tried 1 minute for a pour time and 45 seconds but these turned out underextracted due to lower agitation and I dont think the water did as good of a job penetrating the bed). Pour circularly, mostly toward the middle but finish the pour at the edges of the slurry to knock off any grounds from the edge of the brewer.
Let the pour draw down until the water is just above the coffee bed (typical drawdown time is 45 seconds to a minute following the end of each pour)
Repeat with a second main pour
Repeat with a third main pour
The time I typically get is ~6 minutes for the last drawdown to get below the surface of the coffee bed.

Turns out excellent, even for such a large pourover brew. The key is getting the right pour speed to get the right amount of agitation, heat transfer, without pouring too hard and kicking up too much of the coffee bed.