Kohi Labs Metal Fabric Aeropress Filter

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
SpromoSapiens

#1: Post by SpromoSapiens »

Now that this has gone from Kickstarter dream to a real-life product in public hands, I thought it was time for a properly titled user-experience thread.

As a KS backer, I've already got my filter, and I love it. I posted my initial thoughts in the earlier "yet another" thread. I'm happy to report that after about a good few brews, I'm still thrilled. A new coffee should arrive today, which will only be my second with this filter. I will report soon on how it compares inside a moka pot, as soon as I get a hang of using the moka pot at all. But I can at least report that it does fit and function inside the moka pot, if anyone else wants to try that.

As for its intended use in the Aeropress -- it's awesome. A whole new ballgame. I switched from paper to Able Disc Fine pretty promptly after first starting to use the Aero, however many years ago. The Kohi is a major step up from the Able, no question.

One word of warning I can convey is to be gentle when cleaning it. I was a doing the "pressure flush" with the filter in the press and forcing water through it, but i was screwing the lid on and off a bit carelessly and caused the filter to fold up in the midst of a flush. As a result mine is a bit creased, so it does not look as pristine as the day I got it. This has not affected its performance, however. It still lays flat enough to adhere to the cap when wet.

coffeemods

#2: Post by coffeemods »

Hi Spromosapien,
Thanks for starting a new thread with a great title! I hope this will grow into some good discussions and tips for excellent brewing and cleaning.

I will introduce myself. I started a little coffee blog a few years ago and then last year I joined the KoHi Labs team with my filter idea.

I am the designer of the KoHi Labs filter and can tell you that its filtration is on par with paper.
It does take some care though. The instructions written on the package is to pressure flush the filter after every use. This is meant to keep your filter brewing for many presses.
NOTE:
Always make sure the filter aligned properly and that the cap is on tight
I always wet the filter and cap together so the filter sticks inside the cap right before I tighten in down. This insures a good alignment to the Aeropress.

My TIP
The brew/clean technique I is to always brew with the filter in the same direction and pressure flush the filter from the opposite direction.
--**Flip and flush twice**--

This works very well for me. I have yet had a need to clean the filter in a coffee detergent.
If it does get clogged, then we recommend a soak in a coffee detergent as stated on our "Hot Tips"
This does an excellent job of cleaning. We even sent a sample pack of cleaner to all our backers.

It is a great little filter.

Let's discuss

-Juan
Juan
KoHi Labs

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

coffeemods wrote:I am the designer of the KoHi Labs filter... Let's discuss.
Congratulations on your new product. Please take note of the site's rules on Vendor participation in the forums, excerpted for reference:
Guidelines for productive online discussion wrote:Forum members who have a financial interest in the topic in question should exercise caution before posting. For example, if you or the company you work for sells the product/service being discussed in a thread, you are welcome to correct factual errors, but should avoid posting opinions, product/service offerings, or critiques of competitive products. The same applies when a competitor's product or service is being discussed in a thread, i.e., you should refrain from offering opinions, alternative product/service offerings, or critiques. Moderators reserve the right to edit statements or delete posts that violate this policy.
This restriction is necessary to prevent an influx of sales pitches in the guise of "informing" the membership. I'm sure that isn't your intent, but as a matter of fairness, the vendor participation in the forums rule above will apply to your posts from this point forward. Thanks for your understanding.
Dan Kehn

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

Mine came on Thurday (had to cross the border into Canada, eh? 8) )

Taste:
My totally unblinded, confirmation-biased tasting used consecutive cups of Bolivian Colonial Caranavi FTO, full city roast, brewed uninverted, 17 g beans, 250 g water, 30 second bloom, 90 second brew, 15 second press. To be honest, this is a fairly boring bean, but it is consistent. I brewed the Kohi filter, the Aeropress paper filter, and the Crucial Coffee disk filter.

The Kohi Labs filter has similar mouthfeel/taste to the Crucial Coffee disk, but with, as one would expect, less fines in the cup. There is a very small amount of sediment, so the last few drops of coffee in a cup have a bitter taste - as opposed to the last, ah, slurp, of the Crucial-filtered cup.

There are some taste differences between the two metal filters, but I think that there is enough variability that I would need to use two Aeropresses simultaneously to say anything. I thought both were much better than the paper filter; both brought out the sweetness of this low-acid bean. The Aeropress paper filter coffee did not have much of a sweet note; in all respects the paper cup was very boring.

Physically:
- the Kohi does 'feel' more fragile than a disk - the metal edge 'catches' on one's skin, for example. No idea what impact this will have.
- size is pretty much the same diameter as the stock Aeropress paper filters. (The Crucial disk's diameter is about a mm less than paper/Kohi.)
- resistance is similar to the Crucial disk. A flow of water that took 5 seconds to fill the Aeropress with a (wet) paper filter took about 15 seconds to fill with either metal filter. I "stopped" the water with the press part for both blooming and brewing phases to try to eliminate this difference.

Overall,
I will carry both metal filters in my travel kit, but the first choice will be the Kohi as it seems to offer the metal filter taste with much less metal filter sediment.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

oofnik

#5: Post by oofnik »

Out of curiosity I cut out an Aeropress filter-sized disc from some 400 mesh (37 micron) stainless filter material I had on hand, which I suspect is the same stuff this Kohi Labs filter is made from. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) For those of you who have used the real deal, are you brewing right-side-up or inverted? It seems to me that inverted is the way to go with this type of filter, otherwise half of the water runs out within the first ten seconds of the pour.

That said, I am having very good results brewing with the inverted method and the same grind I use for my Europiccola. Richer body with a comparable amount of fines to a paper filter (i.e. virtually none). The best of both worlds?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

I can't see through mine - but I don't know what lighting you were using in that pic.

At the moment, I am using Tim Wendelboe's 'uninverted' method https://timwendelboe.no/resources/brewi ... aeropress/

I sometimes stack the Kohi filter with the Crucial disk to get more resistance to flow.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

natew

#7: Post by natew »

Looks good! I have been considering a reusable filter, I'll have to compare this and the Able filter.

vilseiprairien

#8: Post by vilseiprairien »

If you have lots of patience and time, you can make an inexpensive reusable Aeropress filter with a pop can, pair of scissors, and a thumbtack. One nice thing about this method is that it would be easy to experiment with different hole patterns (just add more holes or enlarge existing holes later). But believe me, it does take time...

SpromoSapiens (original poster)

#9: Post by SpromoSapiens (original poster) »

Update -- My Kohi is still a great filter. I use every day, and it continues to deliver excellently clean cups. But....

...I'm gonna have to say the honeymoon is over, in terms of the super-easy pressing. Filtration-wise, it's still great. Almost zero fines in the cup, consistently nice body and well defined flavors. But ....
[edit: I have retroactively deleted some criticism I had for the Kohi filter, as my problems were really my own fault. I left the filter dirty inside my press more than once, after big-dose, very-fine brews. This of course resulted in a clogged filter. Kohi includes a packet of Urnex Caffiza, which I had misplaced, and tried Joe Glow instead. The Joe Glow was not helpful, but I eventually found the Caffiza packet and it worked like a charm. Filter is now pretty smooth, once again.]]

So, I will continue happily using my Kohi filter, as it is still the superior filter. It filters extremely well, no matter what the grind or dose. The cup is impeccably clean. But my word of advice to future buyers is: Don't be lazy! Clean it every time -- or else! [[...edit to add: or else you'll need your Caffiza.]]

SpromoSapiens (original poster)

#10: Post by SpromoSapiens (original poster) »

One more update to this extended review... [[edit: again I'm cutting out some of my public critique as it's not fair to Kohi; the whole jam was of my own creation. Although it is true that the thoroughness of cleaning required to keep its operation nice and smooth is more than other filters, so I will let the following remain...]] There's much to be said for the pleasure of an easy press and the convenience of paper cleanup. Press, pop, rinse, done. The absolute requirement for pop / rinse / flip-n-flushx2 is a bit of a nuisance when scrambling towards the door. Although, of course, not a problem when you've got the minute to spare.