Kinu M47 technique for pourover

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
DJSnotBoogie

#1: Post by DJSnotBoogie »

Is there a certain technique for using a hand grinder like the M47 to maximize uniformity? I use it primarily for pourover and would like to cut down on the amount of fines I'm producing. Am I doing it wrong by just dumping the beans in the hopper and going to town?

namelessone

#2: Post by namelessone »

Number of fines is proportional to grind setting. Coarser grind = less fines. There is no special grind technique that would affect the grind distribution. Maybe give details about how you are brewing? If the grinder is brand new, it's normal that it takes some time before the grind setting stabilizes as the burrs get broken in.

Advertisement
mlunsford27

#3: Post by mlunsford27 »

I have heard on this forum but not personally confirmed that if you don't use RDT (dont wet your beans before grinding) that the static will cause a large portion of the fines to stick to the walls of the catch cup. Then carefully pour out the grinds that did not stick to the catch cup trying not to take the static grinds with them. Some have said that this could result in 1-2 grams less fines in a pourover, resulting in a better cup.

Again have not confirmed but this is what I have read. Also, Kinu is coming out with a brew burr that you could buy which is supposed to be better for brewing/pourover