Kettle for pour over

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Idfixe

#1: Post by Idfixe »

Hi all, looking at adding pour over to my coffee options. Hence I need a kettle.
I really like the Fellow stagg and see two options: oven heated and electric kettle.
There is a big price difference... I really like the electric version and would like not to shed 100$ more if not needed
Has anyone tried both and settled for one. Or anyone has advices?

Thanks

Yan

#2: Post by Yan »

Any gooseneck electric kettle with PID that can hold function are more convenient than the stove top ones.
Sooner or later you will buy the PID ones... :D

Advertisement
Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

The spout is really the most important thing.

I've owned a Bonavita 1.0L Electric Kettle with temperature control for many years and it is comfortable for me to use and has a settable temperature with a hold feature. Presently around US$60. Bonivita BV382510V is the one we own.

I'm envious of those with 240 V and their wonderfully fast kettles...

DamianWarS

#4: Post by DamianWarS »

Idfixe wrote:Hi all, looking at adding pour over to my coffee options. Hence I need a kettle.
I really like the Fellow stagg and see two options: oven heated and electric kettle.
There is a big price difference... I really like the electric version and would like not to shed 100$ more if not needed

Thanks
I've been using stove top models for years, they are of course perfectly fine but take a while to heat water. I don't own an electric (because the wattage is too high for my home) but I have used one and they are far easier to use and I would recommend them if it's going to be a part of your daily routine.

The stove tops are fine and they last but over time they get stained from using them on the stove like any "stove-wares". The PID controller is nice on the electric one but with many many pour overs I've come to realise controlling temp in pour over isn't as simple as heating your water to a certain temp. It can be difficult to control temp because as soon as the water hits the coffee it drops like 10 degrees (centigrade) so there is an argument of why we obsess so much over the temp in the kettle when it drops so much when it hits the coffee. Many end up using water straight from boiling because of temperature gradient difference such as what's demonstrated in James Hoffmann's Coffee brewing temperatures explained video. So the pros of a PID controller may not seems as attractive as you might think, with that said, its still nice to have.

If the cost seems too much right now you don't need an electric, but if you're going for stove top to be honest just shop for the cheapest gooseneck you can get. I'm sure there can be quality differences but if your not a cafe serving 200 coffees a day the difference probably is arbitrary for home use.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

Idfixe wrote:Hi all, looking at adding pour over to my coffee options. Hence I need a kettle.

Thanks
I have both the EKG and the regular Stagg kettle - both are the 0.9l version, not the 0.6l.

I had the regular first and got the EKG (not the EKG+) when it came out. Now I never use the regular Stagg for coffee anymore; occasionally I'll brew tea in it as I bought the Raven kettle's tea basket and lid/tea thermometer. Otherwise it sits on a shelf with my collection of copper pouring kettles ... note, however, that I never used the regular Stagg on a stovetop, I only used it as a pouring kettle.

As for the EKG being worth the extra $100, it certainly isn't needed; it is a matter of convenience and ease-of-use and workflow. For myself, I am usually making pourover in a semi-comatose state, so pressing a button and having the kettle come up to and hold temperature while I futz about with weighing out the coffee and grinding is worth it to me.

The spout of the current Staggs is fine for most pouring techniques. I couldn't use one for slow-drip methods like Nel drip or KONO drip, but there are few kettles that can do those methods well. Staggs are great for the currently popular pourover methods like Hoffmann, Rao, Perger, Kasuya ...
Jeff wrote:... I'm envious of those with 240 V and their wonderfully fast kettles...
Somewhat weirdly, I got my Panasonic 240v kettle from Amazon.com (not Amazon Marketplace). 3000w boils water in half the time of my old 1400w kettle :D.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

jevenator

#6: Post by jevenator »

I would use my Stagg EKG kettle every single day. I'd love setting the temperature, leaving and returning back to it already good to go in the morning. I don't know if costco still stocks them online but you could check there because it's cheaper through them.

I think monitoring temps is important for repeatability and depending on the coffee I'd set a specific temperature, and then decide whether or not to put it back on between pours to keep the temperature or off to let it cool down as I would do my subsequent pours. I've found that in a 4:30 brew time the kettle water temp would drop 5degrees C and give me a declining temp profile which I preferred with some coffees.

Idfixe (original poster)

#7: Post by Idfixe (original poster) »

Thanks all for the thorough comments, I never thought of temp stability... but on a 4 min pour, I realize it will vary. Electric it is.
Now about size, there are .6 and .9 sizes... I find the .9 pretty big... anyone missing out on size who bought the .6 liters? Anyone finds the .9 too big?

Advertisement
realbrotherjay

#8: Post by realbrotherjay »

I own one of the Brewista Artisan electric kettles. I actually won it in a raffle, and it's great, but if I were going to buy a kettle for that price (~$150), it'd be the Stagg EKG. Fit and finish aside, difference maker for me with that one is the flow restriction on the pouring spout. I use the Bonavita basic electric kettles (just one switch, runs til boil, no PID) at one of the locations I work at, and my sole issue with them is that to get a satisfactory flow rate for a 250ml filter coffee, I really have to trickle out the water, to the point that I'm losing a steady stream. I've not been able to test whether or not this negatively impacts the results in the cup, but I do get a lot of big bubbles from doing so, and overall it's just an unsatisfactory experience. That is a very narrow use case though, so if 1) you're fairly certain you'll never make a pour over that small or 2) the price difference winds up being a deal breaker, then I'd say you can't really go wrong with most electric goosenecks. Bonavita's basic kettle (~$40) or their PID kettle (~$90 last I looked?) will both serve you well for quite a bit less. Happy hunting!

winslette

#9: Post by winslette »

I've owned the Oxo and now the Stagg and much prefer the pour of the Stagg. Also, I like how the Stagg tells you the current temp and does a very good job with the PID.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#10: Post by baldheadracing »

Idfixe wrote:Thanks all for the thorough comments, I never thought of temp stability... but on a 4 min pour, I realize it will vary. Electric it is.
Now about size, there are .6 and .9 sizes... I find the .9 pretty big... anyone missing out on size who bought the .6 liters? Anyone finds the .9 too big?
The 0.6l is a recent release. I haven't used or seen the 0.6l, but I would have considered the 0.6l to use for one-cup pulsed-pour methods (where I can put the kettle back on the base between pours). I usually boil 500ml of water for one cup (300ml for coffee and about 150ml for rinsing the filter).

The 0.9l is a good capacity for larger brews, for example, Chemex and French Press. The kettle can take a litre with a bit of care. If I'm making one cup, I'll only put in 500ml to keep the weight down. However, if I'm doing one continuous pour and want to minimize the decline in pouring water temperature, then I'll start with more water to increase the thermal mass.

The other factor is the physical size of the kettle affecting pouring, I don't find the 0.9l too large. My regular pouring kettles are about 700ml-1l in capacity.

Aesthetically, the 0.9l Stagg EKG does look big in pictures. I think that it is because the proportions are off - if we assume that the original Stagg is the best-looking variation of that design. The EKG has about the same dimensions as the non-EKG - except that the EKG is taller in the top cylindrical portion of the kettle. I don't notice it normally as I'm looking down at the EKG on the counter. However, if I line up the non-EKG and EKG and look at them at eye-level, then the EKG looks more ... erect :D.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada