Kettle for pour over - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Jofari

#11: Post by Jofari »

Idfixe wrote:Thanks all for the thorough comments, I never thought of temp stability... but on a 4 min pour, I realize it will vary. Electric it is.
Now about size, there are .6 and .9 sizes... I find the .9 pretty big... anyone missing out on size who bought the .6 liters? Anyone finds the .9 too big?
While I haven't used the Stagg, my experience with other kettles tells me that you would only want a 0.6L kettle if you will exclusively be making single cups of coffee (< 500 mL). The 0.9L kettle will be more versatile and will function totally fine for single cups, but will allow you to make larger batches as well.

Jonk

#12: Post by Jonk »

Out of the different kettles I've used the Stagg has the nicest pour by far. Unless you want to pour fast for some reason (my 1L is capped at about 15ml/s)

Advertisement
tennisman03110

#13: Post by tennisman03110 »

For the money, I recommend a Bonavita kettle. 1.0 Liter. You can get the variable temperature model if you want, I don't see the need. Unless you are using dark roasts, water just off boiling is best (according to me).

I have one, standard on-off. It pours great. Takes about 2 minutes to heat 18 ounces of water. That's about how much I start with for a 10 ounce cup. The more water, the better temp stability. Something a bit smaller might be better, or use more water for better temp control (waste of energy and water though).

Mines probably been cycled about 1,000+ times now. I've dropped it on the floor and it's got a dent. Still going strong. If you look around they can be had for $30 (new, on sale) or less (used)

**I've never used or poured with a Stagg.

cccpu

#14: Post by cccpu »

Have a Bonavita at home, have an EKG at work, can say for myself the EKG is everything a kettle should be... one of the next purchases I will make for my home setup.
LMWDP #583

Idfixe (original poster)

#15: Post by Idfixe (original poster) »

Thanks all for your thoughtful answers, really appreciate your time helping me!

nrh

#16: Post by nrh »

I just purchased the Moosoo kettle. Similar in appearance to Fellow, but half the price.
Nick H.

erik82

#17: Post by erik82 »

I still own the Kalita 1L which pours perfect. I bought the Fellow 0.6L kettle as the 1L version was way too big for me as I almost always make 300gr brews or 500gr brews. With the 1L versions I'd be throwing away a lot of filtered water and takes much longer to heat the water. The fellow is also a really great kettle and wouldn't wanna be without it. I really don't need an electric kettle and just boil water in my normal kettle and put the Fellow on the stove with a small amount of water and top it off with boiled water out of my kettle. This takes me 3min to heat the Fellow to the desired temperature.

With the thermometer on top you can get it to any temperature really easily so no PID needed. On the other hand a PID doesn't really add a lot as you lose a lot of heat pouring and more depending on what vessel you like. It's a nice gimmick but not more than that for me. Most great baristas will tell you to just boil the water in the kettle and pour and when it hits the coffee it's already cooled dow a couple of degrees. So people who think that they have a 96C slurry as the PID of their kettle tells them that in reality probably have a 92C slurry :wink: . That's also the reason why plastic drippers work so well as they don't drain all the heat out of the slurry.

And a non-electrical kettle will last you a lifetime instead of a couple of years for an electric one.

Advertisement
ducats

#18: Post by ducats »

EKG with variable flow rate would be da bomb!

If you're grinding coarse, which has its benefits, and then trying to pour aggressively and maintain a shorter brew time, the EKG's flow rate is not for that.

Other than that, its premium price is warranted. 0.9mL version takes 5min to heat room temp to 200F or maybe 204F, did this test when I first got it, been about 8 months. Bonavita 1L took 6min to 204F, both filled to max line. EKG is so quiet, though--hardly makes a noise once temps reach about 130F, its noisiest at the start which surprised me. Build quality feels great. I think there is a flow restrictor doohickey on the inside at the sprout entrance. If that was variable...nirvana.

So, not yet one kettle to rule them all. But per OP's question, for me, pre-wetting filter usually amounts to using 100mL, which is then poured from server into drinking cup to preheat that. Max water capacity is then 800mL, I have 0.9L size, but if you had .6L you're down to 500mL. I'll do up to 30g doses, so I need the .9L. YMMV.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by baristainzmking »

I found that the .6L stove top Fellow Stagg works best for me for any size pour.i have a electric PID tea kettle that I keep at a constant temp and use the preheated with boiling water Stagg to pour. I have a wrist issue, so .6L. Is easy to manipulate, pour great and I always have backup water.
Julia

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by Brewzologist »

Reviving this thread. I've used my Hario Buono on a stovetop for 8 years and it still works great. But I've always had the itch to get an electric kettle near my coffee station. Problem is they all appear to last about 1-2 years before the electronics starts to go; even the much vaunted Fellow Stagg EKG apparently. I brew pour-overs just off the boil, and return my kettle to the stove between pours to keep the boil going. So I don't really need a PID kettle per se, but I do want one that will hold at boiling for a few minutes. Given I don't expect it to last long, I'd rather not spend a lot.

Any recommendations?