Kasuya's new "Hybrid" Hario Switch method, also works on Clever dripper

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

He's doing pourover first - like the first two pours of the 4:6 method with normal brewing temperature water (90C/194F); then immersion with 70C/158F water. (Alan Adler must be nodding his head and smiling.)

20:31 long, although you can watch most of it at 1.5x. Turn on the subtitles for English - they are pretty well done.

ETA: discussion on the grinder/machine beside the EK43 in the background moved to Tree Field double grinder
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

I may try this with my December dripper. I suppose you could adapt it to a clever dripper too.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272
★ Helpful

ojt

#3: Post by ojt »

Interesting, but unfortunately I can't do this on my Origami. I have however lately been doing something similar-ish. I let the brew water cool off all the while I brew (and I think my stovetop Buono looses heat quite a bit) and I brew with an "inverted" recipe, basically a classic bloom plus two pours but doing 100+100+50 for a 15g dose. The idea being exactly the same as Kasuyas, extract less and less towards the end of the brew.
Osku

Jonk

#4: Post by Jonk »

Another idea is to use less and less agitation towards the end, for example using a melodrip.

Yan

#5: Post by Yan »

Is it working with Clever Drip? or only with Hario switch...

iyayy

#6: Post by iyayy »

as long as you have a method to block flow and do immersion.. its possible i guess.
but doing it on a scale without messing up ur pour weight and timing it... well.. not so straightforward.

switch kinda makes the whole process super easy straightforward.

i tried it, and the result was ridiculously juicy and enjoyable cup.. much bigger difference than conical vs flat or ssp, in a very positive direction.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

Yan wrote:Is it working with Clever Drip? or only with Hario switch...
You should be able to pull it off with a Clever Drip, but after the initial percolation phase you'd just pull the coffee server out from under the Clever, tare the scale, and pour the rest of the water for the immersion phase. Slightly more work.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

So I gave it a go with my December Dripper today and my 1/22 roast of the Ecuador Finca Terrazas del Pisque coffee from @boldjava's recent distribution and I enjoyed the result, strong, sweet flavors.

First I had to find my December Dripper, change the battery of my Thermopop thermometer, change the water bottle on my water dispenser and get ready. The water out of the hot water tap is around 70 C so I used that for the second phase from a separate container and used my stovetop kettle right off the boil for the first phase. I used 50 grams on the first pour to emphasize sweetness instead of 60 and my timings were off because this was the first run though running across the kitchen to get the water for the second phase, but it came out good. I'll probably do this again.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Yan

#9: Post by Yan »

yakster wrote:You should be able to pull it off with a Clever Drip, but after the initial percolation phase you'd just pull the coffee server out from under the Clever, tare the scale, and pour the rest of the water for the immersion phase. Slightly more work.
interesting... after my sensory fully return I will try with clever drip, I have 2 electric kettle maybe its's easier to do, set my Brewista at 70C and the cheaper ones to 90C for the 120ml to begin with.

btw your December drip is flat bed like kalita wave right? hopefully it works with trapezoid based dripper (CD).

yakster
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by yakster »

Yes, the December Dripper takes the flat Kalita 185 filters. While you may not get the same brew as the Hario Switch using different shaped filter holders, the hybrid pour-over - immersion brew should still make a difference in the extraction. Even though my timings were off, I got a drawdown pretty much done in three minutes, I usually favor a longer brew, but got plenty of flavor out of the coffee in those three minutes.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272