Kasuya's new "Hybrid" Hario Switch method, also works on Clever dripper - Page 4

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
HRace

#31: Post by HRace »

Anyone use this method on a light roast? Read a few opinions that Japan is a bit more into medium roasts and that may be where this recipe shines. Went back and re-read this thread and it didn't seem like a giant sample size of light roast replies. A few reddit replies were bumping both temperatures up 5 degrees for light roast to get a bit more extraction. Just curious. This recipe seems worth the Hario switch purchase in addition to general immersion experimentation. I've avoided any extra brewer purchases besides the V60 but this keeps tempting me.
* edit * Coffee Chronicler YouTube vid comments seem to say his recipe is a far better light roast starting point. Seems like some fun experimentation is in order.

Shojin

#32: Post by Shojin replying to HRace »

I've been using this exclusively with light roasts since I discovered it a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if it's the best possible method, but I keep comparing to the previous Hoffmann recipe I was using and find I like the Kasuya one better. I think my temps for both parts are slightly elevated, but that's the only difference.

I have found with the current Ethiopian beans I'm using the drawdown time is way slower then the previous bag of Guatemalan and it doesn't speed up much at all at considerably coarser grind settings, i.e. a full 1.0 on my K-Max. Either way, I'm enjoying the coffee.

jfjj

#33: Post by jfjj »

Yan wrote:Is it working with Clever Drip? or only with Hario switch...
I did this with the clever and it worked but the switch would be much easier.
- Jean

yakster
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by yakster »

It's been my go-to single cup method at home with my December Dripper.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

thirdcrackfourthwave

#35: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

HRace wrote:Anyone use this method on a light roast? Read a few opinions that Japan is a bit more into medium roasts and that may be where this recipe shines. Went back and re-read this thread and it didn't seem like a giant sample size of light roast replies. A few reddit replies were bumping both temperatures up 5 degrees for light roast to get a bit more extraction. Just curious. This recipe seems worth the Hario switch purchase in addition to general immersion experimentation. I've avoided any extra brewer purchases besides the V60 but this keeps tempting me.
* edit * Coffee Chronicler YouTube vid comments seem to say his recipe is a far better light roast starting point. Seems like some fun experimentation is in order.
As a matter of fact I did this on a city Kenyan this AM. I think it works well fwiw. On light roasts I tend not to drop the temp as much on the immersion phase.

Yan

#36: Post by Yan »

jfjj wrote:I did this with the clever and it worked but the switch would be much easier.
Any significant improvement in the cup? the traditional immersion CD method vs the Hario Hybrid method .

I am using the Cafec Abaca trapezoid filter with CD and never had good results as good as the Filtropa size 4 Filter in the past.

jfjj

#37: Post by jfjj replying to Yan »

I can't speak to the filters but the method yields really nice clean cup. The bother is more with the dripper. While the clever can achieve this it's a bit of the pain to use it in this way, then cool down the kettle water. In the end I did enjoy the cup a lot just not enough to make it by every day method.
- Jean

yakster
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by yakster »

Having two hot water sources, my stovetop kettle and the hot tap of my drinking water dispenser, make things much easier.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Jonk

#39: Post by Jonk »

I had almost forgotten about this method, I guess the slight inconvenience of having to cool down the water or use separate kettles can have that effect :roll: kind of like using a whiskey rock to cool down part of whole of the brew, it's more work.

Just tried it again, just using a regular V60 and a very light natural Gesha. For awhile I've been brewing at lower temps (90-91C) but it's fascinating how big of an impact lowering to 70C for the last pour has. Made the fermented notes pop for these beans, intensely aromatic with long aftertaste. These particular beans taste cleaner at higher temperature, but not as interesting.

Edit: a 95C + 75C brew of the same beans tasted more bland and worse than a straight 90C brew.

mixespresso

#40: Post by mixespresso »

Jonk wrote:For those that don't feel like watching the absurdly slow video, here's a summary:

He used 20g beans ground at 20 clicks with a C40
Start with the valve open.
00:00 -> 60ml @90C/194F
00:30 -> 120ml @90C/194F
01:15 close the valve, top up to 280ml with 70C/158F water
01:45 open valve
Total brew time less than 3 minutes.

I wonder if the Switch is critical to this. Seeing as it's only a 30 second pause, perhaps one could just skip the immersion step, use cool water and aim for a similar brew time.
If you were to use only 10g, would you just halve the amount of water needed to maintain the same ratio?