Kasuya's new "Hybrid" Hario Switch method, also works on Clever dripper - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Jonk

#21: Post by Jonk »

The modified recipe for a regular V60 (and even Chemex) is what I've been using the last couple of weeks now. I have 2 temperature controlled kettles so the temperature variance doesn't bother me, although it adds complexity.

I can agree with Asser that the extraction tastes on the low side. The previous 17 months I've mostly gone the route of 5min+ double bloom high agitation brews, aiming for high extraction even at the cost of mild astringency.. But what I've really enjoyed with Kasuya's style is the smooth cups and pleasant aftertaste - a surprising sweetness that appears when the aftertaste is about to dissipate. Makes me wait longer between sips!

hnns

#22: Post by hnns »

I tried this with a Clever Dripper but the drain after the steep was very slow, almost clogging. Normally I use James Hoffman's recipe, which avoids the clogging by putting the water in first. People who have successfully done this with a Clever Dripper, did you experience this as well?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by yakster »

I heard from a friend on another forum that he tried this with his Clever and did notice a slow draw down. I didn't have an issue with the December Dripper (like a Kalita Wave with flow control). He gets up really early and forgot to drink the coffee that morning, though, so not much feedback from the technique.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Yan

#24: Post by Yan »

Still hesitate to try with the clever drip, cause the Abaca Trapezoid paper filter with my CD results are so so, a lot different with the Filtropa no 4 paper filter but no one's selling that Filtropa brand anymore in my country.
The funny thing that Abaca trapezoid paper filter are not so bad with super cheap trapezoid plastic Daizo 3 hole dripper ... :D

hnns

#25: Post by hnns »

yakster wrote:I heard from a friend on another forum that he tried this with his Clever and did notice a slow draw down. I didn't have an issue with the December Dripper (like a Kalita Wave with flow control). He gets up really early and forgot to drink the coffee that morning, though, so not much feedback from the technique.
Just tried it again with the same result. It's almost completely clogging the filter so even after 4 minutes I end up with like half a cup.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by yakster »

The grind quality and possibly the water you're using could impact the clogging with the Clever. You could try giving it a swirl when you switch to immersion, but that might be going counter to the goal of minimizing the extraction of undesirable elements from the coffee, or you could just do the whole brew in pour-over mode and just use cooler water at the end.

What grinder are you using and what's your water like?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

hnns

#27: Post by hnns replying to yakster »

I'm using a Felow Ode with the gen2 burrs. Water is just (descaled) tap water. I've made brew water for a while but couldn't taste any/enough difference to keep doing it.
I only recently bought the Clever, after going back and forth between it and the Switch for a couple of weeks. I'm very satisfied with it though, just now a bit of a bummer that I can't try this after reading all the positive feedback and seeing how excited Kasuya is about it. :D

ab

#28: Post by ab »

I bought a hario switch just to try this method and I really enjoyed it.

I used Manhattan's Letty coffee beans and the flavor was remarkably different and stronger than my standard v60 5 pour method.

I'm still not sure which taste profile I like more, but based on how my body responded, the EY was significantly stronger.

superworrier

#29: Post by superworrier »

I tried this on Clever and it did not work well.

On the Switch, having very good result. Lots of sweetness and clarity, but with a thinner mouthfeel. It seems to bring out more roast notes, even on lighter roast coffee, but somehow preserves decent clarity

pavel

#30: Post by pavel »

Ha, this is (more or less) how I used to brew my v60 some years ago. I started with 88-90*c and last 50-100ml I usually added cold water directly to the cone. I did it when filter were clogging/pouring down to slow. So in order to compensate for "longer brew time" I reduced temperature that way. Eventually, I did most of my brews that way.
Not sure how using switch is changing it though? Wouldnt it give even less extraction if one would pour colder water through it, without immersion?