Kalita Wave maximum brew volume

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
davidsikes

#1: Post by davidsikes »

Hey everyone. I daily brew coffee for multiple people with the Kalita Wave 185. I have the 500ml server they make, and it's been frustrating how little coffee I can make with that particular server. I can't get more than 3-4 moderately sized cups of coffee out of it.

However, before I buy a larger carafe, is there a recommended maximum amount of coffee to make with the 185? Does the Kalita have any limitations for quantity other than the size of the carafe? The reason I ask is because I've noticed that the quality of my Chemex's coffee has a tendency to deteriorate with larger quantities of coffee.

Thanks in advance.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Nick Cho's Wrecking Ball Coffee site has this to say about the Kalita Wave 185, and since he has quite a bit of experience brewing with these it's probably accurate:
Brew directly into a cup, or mount it on a brew stand (like a TruBru). We recommend this size (#185) for brewing about 26-45 grams of coffee, yielding between 16 and 26 ounces [768 ml] of brewed coffee.
http://www.wreckingballcoffee.com/produ ... 5-drippers

I have the Kalita Wave 185 Style set which includes a small carafe and I brew up to 600 ml in it.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
RAS

#3: Post by RAS »

I've used my 185 sitting on top of a couple different "receptacles" - one being a Bodum thermal carafe (capacity ~40 ounces) and the other being a HydroFlask 18 ounce widemouth bottle. For the latter, I use 29 grams of pretty finely* ground coffee to yield ~ 16 ounces. For the Bodum, I've used 24 ounces and 42 grams of somewhat finely ground coffee to yield ~23 ounces. The filter gets pretty full with 40+ grams, especially once saturated and blooming. For ease of pouring, I stick to batches of 20 ounces or less (for more, I brew with either a Chemex or vac-pot/siphon).

*For Lido II users, I adjust to 3 "clicks" (small hash marks) under 1 full revolution (360 degrees) from zero... easier for me to count back from 1 full turn from zero than back up from zero.

185 sitting on top of my Bodum thermal carafe:
Bob