Kalita Wave: coffee seems to drip through one out of three holes only

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Jacksen

#1: Post by Jacksen »

Hi all, this question is regarding kalita 185 paired with kalita wave 185 papers. When i pour water through the filter paper , water to seemed to flow through all 3 holes. However when i put the coffee in and pour water through , seems like the liquid is only flowing one out of three holes and sometimes it could be two holes but not very consistent. Has anyone encountered the same problem? please share and give some tips!

MJW

#2: Post by MJW »

This is a guess but I bet the coffee is flowing through all three holes, but the flow is slow enough that the liquid is clinging to the surface and joining together.

MikeTheBlueCow

#3: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

I've had this problem with my 155 (and not my 185), and have seen the same issue reported by other Wave users. When you put in the dry filter, try not to press it down too much, and start the rinse by pouring in the center. Alternatively you can try to lift it up after you've added the dry grounds to make sure it's not too flush against the drain holes when you actually start brewing. A more permanent fix could be to purchase a metal mesh screen and cut out a circle just big enough to fit in the bottom of the brewer so as to prevent the filter from suctioning against the drain holes. Also, I use a cloth filter primarily and this also solves the issue, though changes brew characteristics as well so may not be the ideal fix for others.

Jacksen (original poster)

#4: Post by Jacksen (original poster) replying to MikeTheBlueCow »

THank you for the tips mike! i will try the metal mesh screen method, so its sort of like put the aeropress cap( but without the sides) at the bottom of the brewer ? Will this affect the intended purpose of the 3 holes that it was designed for though?

MikeTheBlueCow

#5: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

Jacksen wrote:THank you for the tips mike! i will try the metal mesh screen method, so its sort of like put the aeropress cap( but without the sides) at the bottom of the brewer ? Will this affect the intended purpose of the 3 holes that it was designed for though?
I haven't personally tried it but have seen at least a couple people do it and not heard about it interfering negatively. It supports the filter and allows the coffee to pass through. It's pretty cheap and removable if it ends up not working for you, but I don't foresee any issue.

Riceman42

#6: Post by Riceman42 »

If the water flows through the filter at a high enough rate, it will drain through all three holes. If the water flow is slower, then it will only drain through one or two holes. It likely doesn't matter much since the bottom of the brew is the filter and not the brewer. The brewer just puts a cap on the maximum flow rate of water through the bottom of the brew.

chris_n

#7: Post by chris_n »

what kind of grinder are you using?

i sometimes have this issue when the brewer is not on a level surface or if my bloom didn't properly saturate all the grounds.

weebit_nutty

#8: Post by weebit_nutty »

flow is too slow.. that's all.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?