Kalita Wave 155 vs 185

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Capac

#1: Post by Capac »

Hey,

I own both 01 and 02 V60, and there's a big difference. For some reason, I much prefer 01 for 15-16g doses, almost regardless of the method used.

It just works a lot better for me as I feel like I can't control the agitation in 02 as much, causing longer drawdowns.

I wanna try kalita, and for 15-16g doses, does 185 work or should I just go with 155?

RyanJE

#2: Post by RyanJE replying to Capac »

Been playing with both of my waves lately. I would actually use the 155 for that dose. I find the 185 actually has a longer draw down than the 155 all else held constant..
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Capac (original poster)

#3: Post by Capac (original poster) »

Yep, I found the same thing with V60 01 vs 02... 02 clogs up a bit more due to more agitation (pouring from a higher point).

Which wave is better though - glass or ceramic?

erik82

#4: Post by erik82 »

The 155 is the V60 - 01 and the 185 the V60 - 02 if you look at the size. If you use 15-16gr doses than just buy the 155 as it'll give better results and was made for those smaller doses.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

Many people report problems with filter collapse with the glass ones. I find that as long as I carefully rinse the filters by first wetting them only in the center of the bottom and wait for the water to wichk up sides--sticking the filter folds to the glass to hold them in place--before further wetting them that I have no problem. (It sounds more involved than it is in practice)
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

edpirie

#6: Post by edpirie »

I agree with that - I have both a glass and metal 155 and much prefer the latter. The metal one is a little bigger and holds the filter's shape better, which makes pouring easier. I've stopped rinsing the filters in the glass one as it caused collapse, but haven't found it gives any noticeable papery taste to the coffee, I think George Howell or one of the other pour-over luminaries advised it isn't necessary with Wave filters.
Ed LMWDP #391

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

I believe it was Nick Cho and Trish Rothgeb who made the comment about the filters. Nick helped bring Kalita products into the US market.

I read James Hoffmann's taste test of different filters (in the short lived Longberry publication) and also tried rinsing and not rinsing myself for a week and concluded that I could pick up papery astringency in small batches. More info here:

Pour out first drips of coffee brew?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

edpirie

#8: Post by edpirie »

That's interesting, I'll do a comparison myself on this and see what difference I can make out.
Ed LMWDP #391

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

Not everyone is sensitive to the papery taste so if it doesn't bother you, all the better. It'll save you time and water.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

malling

#10: Post by malling »

With small doses the 155 dos a better job and is less likely to clog. I would also recommend rinsing the filters, I have tested the little paper taste theory and there is a distinguish paper taste if you taste on the water that goes through after the rinsing, this would definitely have a negative impact on cup quality. Besides it's not that difficult to avoid the filter to collapse, just pour enough water in the centre until the water rises a bit then quickly start pouring on the side, you can keep a finger around the edge but it isn't strictly necessary.

The steel version is the best one, although strictly speaking I would prefer plastic, glass and steel is okay, porcelain is absolutely the worst choice as it's just drain the heat/energy from the brew.