Kalita Copper .7L pouring kettle

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Almico

#1: Post by Almico »

I just picked up on of these after seeing this video:
Not sure if I like the video or the song better, but was very intrigued by the control. I've been using a Bonavita gooseneck stovetop kettle for months with my Chemex, but my brewing method was pretty much flooding the grind bed to bloom and then pouring 20% of the total water amount at a time doing cute little circles. After using the Kalita, the Bonavita feels like a saucepot.

The reason for this is I'm trying to upclass my farmers market stand and do some slow pourovers for people that are willing to wait and watch. I bought the 7L Kalita copper without the hinge (Amazon $89) and carefully widened the breathing hole in the lid to accept a thermometer. I draw 208* water from a Zojirushi.

I'm happy to report it works great. I was able to literally pour a few drops at a time onto the ground bed and slowly grow the bloom, keeping it perfectly centered (OK, not always perfectly) and away from the filter. Very cool. People were mesmerized. And while they were transfixed on their coffee being brewed, I was able to chat up the coffee itself, the origin and how I roasted it and why.

I'm finding that a small line at my table begets more customers. By having one or two people wait for a pourover instead of just grabbing a pre-brew from the Luxus urn, it attracts more people to come over and see what's going on.

And the coffee is surprisingly good. I think there is something about the ever cooling water that reduces funky tastes. I'm not updosing at all, as it appears Idobata is doing in the video. I'm using 17-18g to 250ml water. I also think there is something to the wide-based spout shape of this kettle that enhances control.

I'll make a vid of my pours this weekend and supplement this thread.

Hopefully I can keep up with the rush!?

Advertisement
CoffeeBar

#2: Post by CoffeeBar »

Congratulations to Alan on your new purchase. I am also thinking to buy one recently. I find the Copper( Kalita 0.7 ) kettle is aesthetically beautiful. Could you tell me does this copper kettle good in retaining heat compare to stainless steel one? Thank you

Almico (original poster)

#3: Post by Almico (original poster) replying to CoffeeBar »

I don't have the SS one to compare, but I would assume that since copper is such a good conductor of heat, that it would draw heat from the water quicker than SS. I do know that when hot water is in the kettle, you can't touch the lid button bare-handed to remove the lid. It gets very hot.

That said, during a 3 minute pour, the temperature of the water drops from 205* to about 195*.

That said, there was no hint whatsoever of any underextracted sourness in the brew. Quite the contrary. As a comparison I got some nastiness in the cup from the same coffee using a Clever brewer with a flooding pour, stir and steep.

Almico (original poster)

#4: Post by Almico (original poster) »

Not being prone to reading product instructions, I found myself surprised by what found gazing at the back of my Hario filter pack at today's market. It seems to state very clearly in step 3: "Make sure the water does not come in contact with the paper". Hum...

Jofari

#5: Post by Jofari »

Thanks for sharing. I have the stainless steel Kalita Wave kettle, which I imagine pours similarly to your copper kettle. I agree that it is far superior to any other kettle I've used. I previously used a different gooseneck kettle (similar to the Buono kettle) and I couldn't believe how much more control the Kalita gave me. It's easy to get the tiniest stream for a small pour-over or a flooding pour for an immersion brew.
Almico wrote:It seems to state very clearly in step 3: "Make sure the water does not come in contact with the paper". Hum...
I've never followed these instructions either. I always circle out to the paper to make sure I wet all the coffee. But some people stress that it's important to avoid the paper. I'm of the opinion that if you're willing to experiment a bit, you can get a good cup of coffee regardless of the recipe or rules (avoiding paper, total time, pulse/continuous pour etc.) you're trying to follow.

turtle

#6: Post by turtle »

Copper is a good conductor so it will heat up quickly but cool down quickly.

If speed of heat up is paramount to you, look for a kettle that will work on an induction plate.

I can start with cold water in my Moka pot and have finished coffee in 2 minutes and 45 seconds. The same pot on a gas flame (commercial stove) takes 10 minutes easily.

Induction ROCKS for boiling water.
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

Almico (original poster)

#7: Post by Almico (original poster) »

My favorite brewing video so far:
Notice that water never comes in direct contact with the paper in either method. No agitation, no stirring, no aggressive flooding.

I've been using what he calls the "permeation" method to great result for the past 2 weeks. It looks like the outer grounds are less involved, but it only looks that way. The coffee tastes amazingly smooth and both customers and fellow marketeers that got a cup last week made a point to tell me this week how great last week's cup was.

Advertisement
Taz

#8: Post by Taz »

Almico wrote:My favorite brewing video so far:...
Man, I would get stressed out if that music was playing every time I wanted to brew a cup... :lol:

Almico (original poster)

#9: Post by Almico (original poster) replying to Taz »

True dat, Tom! Not the greatest music selection.

I like your choice of espresso machines though. I have an Astoria SAE-J1 myself. Still tweaking it.

Taz

#10: Post by Taz »

Hah, I didn't even realize that was your thread I was commenting on