JoGo Coffee Straw (Kickstarter) - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I've been brewing the Panama Elida Natural Catuai all week in my Behmor BraZen with paper filters using a 15:1 ratio and when I switched to an immersion brew with a 13:1 ratio drinking out of the Jogo Straw it was a revelation how much more flavor came through in the immersion brew. So much so that I'm going to review my brew parameters with the Brazen and consider ditching the paper filters and just using the mesh filter basket for a while.

I don't think that the Jogo Straw is going to negate the need for a good grinder and I also wouldn't go too coarse with this coffee straw. I'm not sure I'd want to use it every day, I'm thinking it'll be good for traveling.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jpender

#22: Post by jpender »

I've used a Porlex mini as a grinder for travel. It's a crummy grinder but does sort of okay with finer grinds. And with an Aeropress the grinds result in coffee that I find acceptable, at least in the context of travel.

I can't help but wonder about the experience of sucking coffee through a straw. I'm so accustomed to sipping out of a ceramic cup. Even a paper cup is kind of a bummer. What's it like using a straw?

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I was tentative at first but drinking out of the straw was fine. They claim a heat regulated BPA free silicon tip which diffuses the heat while you drink. Works for me and I didn't notice any metallic tastes from the stainless steel straw.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by DamianWarS »

yakster wrote:This is a coffee straw with a filter mesh that allows you to drink coffee straight from a cupping bowl.
after cupping, I drink straight from a cupping bowl all the time and I don't use any straws to do so. the risk of the straw would be the temptation to let it rest at the bottom when not in use or when drinking and this would be counterproductive to the cupping as it would agitate the sunk coffee bed and mess it all up. Drinking straight from the cupping bowl doesn't really agitate it so long as you are careful with it. So if you use the straw you would have to be careful with it that it doesn't disturb the coffee bed and when not in use to remove it from the cupping bowl. I would think it would just be easier to pick up the cupping bowl and just drink it. I suspect this straw is meant to freely stir or rest it at the bottom of the cup and where this may produce some tasty cups it's going to be inconsistent. I think a better solution when you have no filters/brewers is to let the coffee rest so all the coffee sinks then decant it out slowly into another vessel (or in your mouth) if that's the only thing you have.

Supporter ♡

#25: Post by yakster (original poster) »

So, just to follow-up, I did some tweaks to my brewing with my Behmor Brazen after getting such a flavorful cup of my light-roasted Panama Elida Natural Catuai from the JoGo straw with little to no effort. First I brewed a pot with just the mesh filter and no paper filter and upped the temp a little bit, it was a bit better but I wasn't fond of the silt in the bottom of the cup so I increased the temp again up to 204 and increased the pre-soak to 1:30 which really made an improvement.

While I've used cupping a few times, I haven't really found it that useful to me to help evaluate coffee. It's probably just me, but the JoGo Straw really helped show me what I was missing so I could tune my brew. I'm really enjoying this Panama Elida Natural.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Auctor
Supporter ❤

#26: Post by Auctor »

This is really interesting, thanks! I find that I get my best flavors when cupping, but drinking coffee with a spoon can obviously be a massive pain. The straw may be a worthy investment to improve my morning brew!

Supporter ♡

#27: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I forgot to mention that with this I'm not concerned about picking up the cup and walking around and sipping out of it, where I want to be a lot more careful we'll just drinking from a straight cupping bowl.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Artisan Plus: complete coffee greens inventory management service
Sponsored by Artisan Plus
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I tried my Costa Rica Tarrazu Cafetales de Dota roast with the JoGo straw last night as I wanted some more coffee. This time there wasn't an improvement in flavor over what I've been getting from my morning pot in my Behmor BraZen, this is a darker, more extractable roast so that makes sense. Good to know that I can sanity check my lighter roasted brews comparing the flavor from brewing in a cup and drinking out of the JoGo straw.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272