JoGo Coffee Straw (Kickstarter) - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I just got shipment notification on this.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

DamianWarS

#12: Post by DamianWarS »

rmongiovi wrote:I think I'd be more concerned that by leaving the grounds in the cup while you drink it it keeps extracting. That doesn't seem optimal to me. Maybe it's better to allow a cupping to remain a cupping and just slurp a spoonful or three?
once the crust is broken the coffee sinks to the bottom and it effectively stops the extraction unless the sunk bed is disturbed. cupping uses the same principle and cupping can last quite a long time as it continues to get sampled at cooling temperatures. pouring will disturb this bed and although cupping doesn't really do this often when the cupping is over you can take a coffee and drink it straight from the cup. the shape of the rattleware cupping brewer minimizes this agitation and allows you to decant it out easier and mimic more of a cupping brewing. it would be best to decant the entire thing out and if you did multiple pours it would probably agitate the coffee more and affect extraction. this is the same with jug coffee or even a french press and the more you pour the more it will agitate so it is always better to decant it out into a separate vessel to minimize the agitation.

Advertisement
5cylinders

#13: Post by 5cylinders »

Looks like a Bombilla.

civ

#14: Post by civ »

Hello:
yakster wrote:... handy for having a cup of coffee away from home ...
5cylinders wrote:Looks like a Bombilla.
Indeed ...
Because it is.

It's just another take on what is used in Mate drinking countries of South America to drink the brew from the traditional Mate gourd.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(infusi%C3%B3n)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombilla
https://circleofdrink.com/product-category/bombilla

Not a new idea, as such it's been around for 200 years.
Indigenous peoples (Guaraní) used similar devices so the idea/design itself is older still.

Best,

CIV

Supporter ♡

#15: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Nice, I learned something today.

How well do they work with coffee? What's the difference in particle size between coffee and Mate?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Supporter ♡

#16: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I got my Jogo Straw and brewed a 13:1 cup of Panama Elida Natural Catuai to drink with dinner. The cup had fantastic flavors and no grit. This will be great for travel.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

civ

#17: Post by civ »

Hello:

Sorry for the delay.
I was away from my PC.
yakster wrote: ... learned something today.
8^D
yakster wrote: How well do they work with coffee?
Can't say.
Never thought of trying it.
Can't see a use for it.

As you know there are a great many options/methods to filter coffee.
From gravity to paper cones to cotton filters.

A cotton filter is my favourite go-to method in case I don't have anything else.
eg: if I forgot to pack my small moka pot.

Like this one:

I was brought up on it and was introduced to properly made coffee by my great aunt Clara when she came to live with us.
Can be found in any grocery/convenience store and if not, there's always a clean cotton sock or gravity á la ibrik, even if you cannot grind it fine enough.

yakster wrote: ... difference in particle size between coffee and Mate?
Hard to say.

Bombillas come in a myriad of different designs.
From the original centuries old rustic ones I posted previously to very elaborate models.

One of the main variables is the hole size as the mate grounds, depending on the mill/manufacturer can have different proportions of fines (called polvo or dust), leaves (hoja) and sticks (palo).

Some people sift out the fines while others don't mind but want it without sticks.
There are even small reusable/disposable cloth flters that are tied to the end of the bombilla to filter out the fines.

And then there's the provenance, drying method and aging, to which there are also different options.
Remind you of anything? 8^D

Best,

CIV

Advertisement
Auctor

#18: Post by Auctor »

So please forgive a dumb question, but if I purchased something like this, could I now be less reliant on an "end game" brew grinder, since I would grind incredibly coarse (eg cupping) and use the straw?

Obviously grinding large quantities of coffee for guests at a cupping coarseness is out of the question, but if it was just me in the morning, maybe I rely on a cheap, workhorse grinder at the coarsest setting and sip with a straw?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by JohnB. »

We've got a few of the Bombillas around as my wife used to drink Mate every morning. We purchased the stick free variety & brewed it in a french
press. Got her hooked on Americanos now.
LMWDP 267

Jonk

#20: Post by Jonk »

Auctor wrote:So please forgive a dumb question, but if I purchased something like this, could I now be less reliant on an "end game" brew grinder, since I would grind incredibly coarse (eg cupping) and use the straw?
A cupping grind is not incredibly coarse like how some grind for cowboy coffee or french press. Even at relatively coarse settings grind quality matter. Never done a comparison of something like 4000µm+ but sure, at that extreme perhaps it'll always taste lackluster regardless of the grinder used unless you go for incredibly long infusion times.