Is there any advantage of the Kalita Wave Style Set over the Dripper/Server?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
jaybar

#1: Post by jaybar »

Hi

I currently have the 185 and 155 drippers. I brew into a Hario Range Server (600 or 800 ml server).

Is there any advantage in terms of cup quality to be using the Kalita Style Set instead?

Have folks found the Style Set easy to grasp without burning ones self as it has no handle? This has been an issue for me with the wood collar Chemex.

I am really starting to like the Kalita brews.

Thanks

Jay

cygnusx1

#2: Post by cygnusx1 »

Jay

I don't have either of the drippers so I can't comment on the difference in cup quality although I suspect there shouldn't be any difference.

I thoroughly enjoy my Kalita 185 Wave Style. I've never had an issue with it at all. Gripping point at the thermoplastic collar is relatively easy, except if you have very small or petite hands. I would rather use it than the Walkure.

The only negative is that the filters are not more easily accessable (and cheaper).

jbviau
Supporter ★

#3: Post by jbviau »

Like Steve, my only Kalita experience is with the Style Set. I like it. One niggle is that the filter waves collapse on me when rinsing unless I do the Aeropress funnel trick. I gather based on what I've read that the stand-alone 185 drippers aren't as fussy (at least not the steel one). Could be wrong.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

I have the 155 dripper and the 185 Style set. The Style set works well as a Chemex replacement, and both play well together in what I call a Kalita 340, where the 155 brews the coffee into a 185 filled with ice.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jaybar (original poster)

#5: Post by jaybar (original poster) »

My question still remains. Is there an advantage to the Style Set over the Separate Dripper and carafe to warrant giving up the Dripper? Or is there a place for both?

Jay

Boldjava

#6: Post by Boldjava »

jaybar wrote:Hi

I currently have the 185 and 155 drippers. I brew into a Hario Range Server (600 or 800 ml server).

Is there any advantage in terms of cup quality to be using the Kalita Style Set instead?

Jay
Don't know, as I just use the 155 dripper. Prima states that the Style Set requires less finesse in the pour.

http://prima-coffee.com/kalita/wave-sty ... ingUMZwoZ5 (0:58 of the video)
-----
LMWDP #339

[creative nickname]

#7: Post by [creative nickname] »

Prima states that the Style Set requires less finesse in the pour.
Actually, I think he was just comparing the Kalitas (both dripper and Style Set) to the v60 and other conical pour-over set-ups. I can't imagine why this one would be any different than an ordinary dripper in terms of results in the cup. The differences look mostly cosmetic to me; I think this is meant to appeal to people who want the look of a chemex but prefer the taste they get with a Kalita.
LMWDP #435

yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

jaybar wrote:My question still remains. Is there an advantage to the Style Set over the Separate Dripper and carafe to warrant giving up the Dripper? Or is there a place for both?

Jay
The only advantage I see is that it comes with a built-in server. It keeps the coffee warm for quite a while when I put in my glass Chemex lid which seems to be a perfect fit in the Style carafe. I don't believe you'll find a difference in taste.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

MWJB

#9: Post by MWJB »

jaybar wrote:My question still remains. Is there an advantage to the Style Set over the Separate Dripper and carafe to warrant giving up the Dripper? Or is there a place for both?

Jay
Personally (I'm not in the majority here), I prefer to weigh the output from a dripper cone, so prefer separate cone & carafe. It also makes tasting & adjusting easier when you can lift off the filter, taste the output, the decide on whether to pulse some more brew water through.

But if you like something because it looks good, well that's just as valid, afterall you have to live with it & techniques can be adjusted.

jaybar (original poster)

#10: Post by jaybar (original poster) »

For those using the Style Set, is the white plastic grip removable for washing the outside ?

Jay