Is some French press mud normal even for a Mazzer Mini? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
another_jim
Team HB

#11: Post by another_jim »

luca wrote:I have been doing heaps more cupping than ever before at work lately. Very interesting stuff. I'm now wondering if the Eva Solo brewer wouldn't be worth playing with ... or maybe just a nice small vac pot ... what's your take, jim?
I'm hesitant to recommend brewed coffee makers, since I've never used any that I've become any good with. I've had very good vacuum, drip, even aeropress and large commercial brewer (very rarely) coffee from other people (the FP stuff always seems to be worse than I make at home, so I'm more confident that this is not a good way to separate grounds from coffee). I think brewing good coffee requires a large measure of experience with the brewer being used, in the same way one needs experience with an espresso machine.
Jim Schulman

2xlp

#12: Post by 2xlp »

MOSFET wrote:Trying to nail down source of consistent bitterness. I wouldn't think it's the grinder, but I'm open to all possibilities. I never see flying powder or static cling. Adjusting the grind is not a problem. Burrs are not worn. But could abnormally fine particles be the source of bitterness in espresso? When doing French press on a very coarse setting I still get sludge at the bottom. Does anyone use a Mini and not get this sludge?

thanks

Keith
You're cleaning your grinder often then. Mazzers certainly accumulate powder and static cling -- on espresso and french press settings. There's much less dust than other grinders, but its there.

I vacuum out the doser every few days, but if i go without a week or so, there is a bit of dust in there.

I don't think its possible to have a coffee grinder that creates no dust. I think you can have one that greatly minimizes the dust, and Mazzers/Macaps/etc are them. But there is a bit of dust to it.