Is my relatively unknown kettle bottlenecking my setup?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Dhari

#1: Post by Dhari »

Hello,

I have just pre-ordered a Lagom P100 yesterday, and started wondering if my (Dualit) gooseneck kettle is not up to task? I say this because everyone and their mom seem to have the Stagg EKG Kettle and I can't see why. It's far more expensive and I'm not sure of the returns.

I am for spending money on coffee gadgets when I think it's sensible in terms of connivence and results.

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

The advantage of the stag is temperature control and a restricted spout that makes pouring accurately easy, other than that and it's looks, it's just a kettle.

Dhari (original poster)

#3: Post by Dhari (original poster) replying to ira »

I am also wondering how superior its flow accuracy is

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

If you can pour in a way that makes you happy, it matters not. If you can't, you can always put something in the spout where it meets the kettle to slow it down. It was a common discussion point in the past.

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

I know of people who find the Stagg too slow for some techniques. I'm happy with a couple other kettles that aren't as expensive.

Dhari (original poster)

#6: Post by Dhari (original poster) replying to Jeff »

Unfortunately, my current Dualit kettle simply doesn't get slow enough. What other kettles are you happy with?

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by Milligan »

I say this because everyone and their mom seem to have the Stagg EKG Kettle
Funny enough, my mom bought one after seeing mine so you are spot on.

I had a Breville kettle before the Stagg. It was bigger and a bit bulky. I really liked the size of the Stagg when I saw it in person at a local cafe. The baseplate is small, the screen is very legible, and the controls are simple. I haven't had a recipe I couldn't pour fast enough through the Stagg yet. It looks nice and heats quickly.

Fellow runs coupons quite often. I think I got mine when they did a 15-20% off sale, so it wasn't too bad.

Quester

#8: Post by Quester »

ira wrote:The advantage of the stag is temperature control.
Because we also use it for tea, this is a big advantage. You set the target temperature and forget it as you are working on other things.
Jeff wrote:I know of people who find the Stagg too slow for some techniques.
It's too slow for something like a Clever Dripper. For me, anyway.

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

I've used a Bonavita for years, long before the Brewista mess here in the US and the price increases. I also have a Timemore that works well for me. Both seem to me to be relatively high-flow kettles. They may not be what you are looking for if you want a kettle that restricts the flow more than what you have.

There may be some useful insights in James Hoffman's review, which includes the Dualit.

ira
Team HB

#10: Post by ira »

Quester wrote:It's too slow for something like a Clever Dripper. For me, anyway.
If all you're doing is tea and Clever, Fellow makes a tea kettle version of the Stagg.