Is my relatively unknown kettle bottlenecking my setup? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#11: Post by baldheadracing »

Dhari wrote:Hello,

I have just pre-ordered a Lagom P100 yesterday, and started wondering if my (Dualit) gooseneck kettle is not up to task? I say this because everyone and their mom seem to have the Stagg EKG Kettle and I can't see why. It's far more expensive and I'm not sure of the returns.

I am for spending money on coffee gadgets when I think it's sensible in terms of connivence and results.
Some might say that the Dualit is better than the Stagg. (Most will say the Stagg looks better - and appearance is a big factor in Stagg sales.)

Past a certain level, kettle choice can depend on what brewing techniques one uses. For example, if you're doing traditional Japanese Nel drip on dark roasts, then a separate pouring kettle like a Takahiro will out-perform a Dualit, or a Stagg, or a non-copper Hario Buono, etc. On the other hand, the Takahiro or similar, may well be too slow for other brewing techniques or other uses of the kettle.

Note I am not saying one method is better than another. What I am saying is your kettle is fine, and I would only consider changing it for a specific reason.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Quester

#12: Post by Quester »

ira wrote:If all you're doing is tea and Clever, Fellow makes a tea kettle version of the Stagg.
I was hoping they would sell just the new Corvo kettle and not the base so I could use both versions with a single base.

I frequently do V60 (and Kalita Wave), so the Stagg is great for that use.

zero610

#13: Post by zero610 »

I have a Stagg and sometimes do tea/french press. In my opinion trying to use it, it is painfully slow for that (great for V60/Kalita though). I picked up a Corvo without the base on ebay. If you already have a Stagg, it is interchangeable with that base. So, to simplify things, I use the Stagg for coffee pourover and then just use the Corvo for faster tea/french press. Might not be the cheapest option but it certainly is easy if you need both fast and slow pours.

rmongiovi

#14: Post by rmongiovi »

Hoffman's video completely misses the mark for me. For a temperature controlled kettle I want to know how accurately it produces water at the temperature I selected. When I have it set to hold a temperature I'd like to know the dead band before it decides to switch the heater back on. How much does it overshoot? In other words when I set the kettle to X degrees can I rely on the water in the kettle actually being at X degrees.

If I didn't care about the temperature I'd pick a non-temperature controlled kettle and manage the temperature myself. So if a temperature controlled kettle can't accurately maintain the selected temperature I don't care a bit how well it pours or how comfortable it is to pour with (or even if it has a square lid that you can accidentally drop into the kettle). It doesn't perform its fundamental purpose.

lancealot

#15: Post by lancealot »

Quester wrote:I was hoping they would sell just the new Corvo kettle and not the base so I could use both versions with a single base.

I frequently do V60 (and Kalita Wave), so the Stagg is great for that use.
They will. Contact them directly. I just did and bought a Corvo, without the base.

jedovaty

#16: Post by jedovaty »

Hey to the original poster, before you spend money on more equipment with diminishing returns, try a flow restrictor to see if it makes your pour any better. It's a doohickey you put into the spout inside the kettle that slows down the water. I recall there used to be brass ones that would clog up with hard water, but now it appears majority are silicone based (e.g. bonavita flow restrictor). You can also wad up a paper filter temporarily and see how it changes things even before picking up one of these things.

Quester

#17: Post by Quester »

lancealot wrote:They will. Contact them directly. I just did and bought a Corvo, without the base.
Nice. I asked them when it first came out and they said something like "we aren't right now." But I did get the sense they were considering it. Thanks for the tip.