Is 240 v significantly better for Decent Espresso pourover function ? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Jeff
Team HB

#11: Post by Jeff »

It's quick to do. That's a Hario 01 (plastic) for scale.

If you need more clearance, you will need something to catch the drain water from exhaust outlet. The outlet is on the left, under the lip.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Brewzologist »

I use the Rao pour-over basket and an Acaia Lunar scale for my pour-overs. Rao developed the basket to add more turbulence to the dripper and made 17:1 recipes with high EY that are included for Kalita and V60. I modified one of his recipes to use weight from my scale instead of volume from the DE1 which I believe yields more consistent output. I think you can emulate pretty much any pour-over recipe on the Decent, but I've been happy with Rao's so far and haven't tried any others.

Pretty easy to switch between making 'spro and pour-overs, and as Jeff mentioned the stack height necessitates removing the drip tray from its stock position. With a V60 Size 2 you can't use the stock tray and need to put a little shot glass behind it to catch drips from the DE1's drain, but this isn't a problem with the smaller V60 or Kalita 185. Here's Rao's video demonstrating it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HraNBzMaCW8

Advertisement
Chert (original poster)

#13: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Depending on the size of the gap between the machine's supports, with a cutout in the caterers counter or table, a Cheme or 6 cup dripper and a 1 liter thermos could fit under the group. I guess the barista might have to rotate the chemex or basket during the pour.
LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#14: Post by Chert (original poster) »

I've been enjoying my Decent machine for a couple of months and made a few pourovers using the Kalita 20 gram pulse system.

John Buckman recently stated that high volume pourover would work better at 240 V with the higher wattage heaters in those units. This is no surprise.

So that settled, maybe a separate thread is warranted, but that one is closed. Since i don't do pourover pop-ups for a few years, I do the odd V60, Aeropress, Kalita, or Chemex - maybe 10-20 in the past year. At work I make a liter of something I like for anyone who wants it, maybe twice a month when I have time before things get rolling.

To use the Decent for pourover in a cafe - especially if going back and forth for espresso - one would need a serious ergonomic plan.

I've settled on the basic pourover gooseneck kettle method of app. 20% brew water added first 15 seconds, agitate, at 30 seconds pour 40% fast, at 1:15 pour the last 40% slow, stir. brew time 3-4 minutes for small batch, < 5 min for the liter. It, I believe, is similar to James Hoffman's V60 and it works for me.

The Decent profile / pourover basket pulses the water in and affects the grounds much differently than the gooseneck stream. The 3 or 4 cups I've made with the Decent are okay, I should do a side by side with the gooseneck to compare the cup. The appearance of the brew in the basket is much different. The agitation from the water out of the pourover basket causes some bypass in the first pulse, it appears and after the 2nd or 3rd pulse, the filter has water on the surface with grounds floating, whereas the gooseneck method still has fines more mixed with water even after the final stir.

Should I try a pulse pour method and then try to match that to the Decent or change the use of the Decent profile?

Would the 240 v machine do better with some basket arrangement that could make a gooseneck stream for the barista to direct the brew basket under?

Pictures of my setup of the brew I did today and the Decent tablet screen after:

note the drain tray to the right for rubber tube collection / plumbed out and a tray to catch water from the brew release tube under the machine and the ceramic drain try not plumbable pulled forward. If I were to have the machine drain plumbed out directly under the brew group (like in a cafe) maneuver to do pour over would be even more challenging, so at home I leave it to the side but still divert the gray water to a carboy for my garden.
LMWDP #198

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Brewzologist »

Flint; drinking a Hoffman profile V60 right now similar to yours. I make one every morning. I think Rao was using Gagne's work on turbulence to create his profiles. I've played around with reducing flow rate to 5-6ml/s to better approximate a kettle for a more traditional pour. Have also experimented with reduced temps, especially on the bloom pulse. I'd say to play with different profiles and yes compare to a manual pour. Have to admit I've gotten lazy and need to experiment more again with this.

As for a 240V Decent; if you'd never do a manual pour faster than 8ml/s then would you need the 240V machine? Seems like just a new gooseneck PF basket (like the tea PF) would be all you'd need to invent! :wink:

Chert (original poster)

#16: Post by Chert (original poster) replying to Brewzologist »

I agree and am probably twice as lazy. One can record more information with the Decent than I will take the time, for example. Also I had not even glanced at the tea portafilter stuff, so thanks for that.

I went back and studied Decent Espresso Coffee Brewing and pulled up the Filter 2.0, again I think a Rao contribution but diluted - or tried to - into Flintfilter to give the full 320 mL like Tom describes.

I have to fix a flaw I put into the profile which stalled out after bloom. So to get 320 mL, i flushed the group up to that volume in the cup.

Also for some reason, although I set the limit to heat the tank to 30C like 86 deg F, it didnt pump water like the pourover profile does. So still some work to do. I have my filter papers cut:
LMWDP #198

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by Brewzologist »

I've not played with Filter 2.0 yet. Seems to be the latest shiny object for the DE1, while little activity with the PO basket these days. I'm happy continuing to experiment with PO, and will wait till Filter 2.0 settles down more before trying it.

Also, are you using stop-at-weight with your PO profiles? More accurate than the volume method in the profiles Rao distributed.

Advertisement
Chert (original poster)

#18: Post by Chert (original poster) »

@Brewzologist

To stop-at-weight with PO profiles seems like a good idea, with the "Filter" type a few gram short in the scale so the extraction pressure will stop while a bit more coffee pours out, I suppose.

Today I went with Filter 2.0 because my mod had failed to save. It's like aero press for Decent. The machine pours then holds 100 second or so, then adds 80 ml total pour. I added another 140 ml hot water and had a nice cup of Ethiopia natural benti nenka. Clean like drip coffee due to filters in triple basket.
LMWDP #198