Inverted French Press

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
APH

#1: Post by APH »

I feel like the current standard for french press, where the grounds are steeped into the water top to bottom, leaves room for oversaturation of flavors from the grounds, considering that they are left in the coffee after brewing. The sludge that this creates at the bottom is also pretty annoying to clean, and I am just wondering why, instead of a top down approach, there aren't any french presses that start with the plunger at the bottom and pull the grounds up towards the top. Any thoughts on this?

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Not sure if there's a gadget; but your regular French Press can be turned into a French Pull.
Jim Schulman

Kaffee Bitte

#3: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

Get an immersion brewer instead. Some are basically a french press with a pod the coffee stays inside and just pull out when done brewing. Should save you from the bitters.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

matkuf22

#4: Post by matkuf22 »

I used to do a lot of french press. And I agree, they can be pretty annoying to clean. I am happier since moving to Aeropress because the clean up and work flow is comparably so fast and easy :)

wilsonywx

#5: Post by wilsonywx »

The aeropress seems to tick the boxes for an "inverted french press" if you use the "inverted method" :D.

I imagine the french press works reasonably well for most people (especially if they put milk in their coffee so the little fine particles don't matter and may even enhance the texture of the drink) that for the most part, they are not bothered. It's likely one of those "good enough" devices that people are content with leaving as is.

Randy G.

#7: Post by Randy G. »

The Espro press double filter system isolates efficiently enough after pressing to avoid overextraction. It also leaves virtually zero particulate matter in the cup; zero sludge.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done