Incredibly stupid question regarding pour over grind - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Drewskie (original poster)

#11: Post by Drewskie (original poster) »

jmc999 wrote:Are you brewing a 02 size V60? I've tried brewing 32-33g/500g w/ Hoffmann's 5x recipe and I'd say I tend to get results that are slightly overextracted for my preferences.

Have you tried brewing something more like 20g/300g? I tend to get faster brews with more interesting acidity with this dose/ratio.
Yes, with the 02. I used to do the smaller quantities and I'll admit the cups were better for sure, but I was also able to make excellent coffee for years using my 500/30.

jmc999

#12: Post by jmc999 »

Are you using Hario filter papers? I've only recently got into pour over brewing, so I haven't noticed this -- people say the papers have changed. Might be worth looking at cafetec filters?

Advertisement
Cjoysoy

#13: Post by Cjoysoy »

Drewskie wrote:Can I just grind very coarse and lower the ratio to something like 10 or 12 to 1?
Yes you can. People have been doin it for a while now. And it makes sense on your premise re flavor.

Drewskie (original poster)

#14: Post by Drewskie (original poster) »

jmc999 wrote:Are you using Hario filter papers? I've only recently got into pour over brewing, so I haven't noticed this -- people say the papers have changed. Might be worth looking at cafetec filters?
I'm actually using the Cafec at the moment. I like them, even though they seem to flow much faster than the Hario.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by yakster »

Drewskie wrote:Dry is a good descriptor for my current coffee, and I have definitely considered the brew temperature being too high. Yesterday and today I lowered the temperature and the cup was much better, still not great though. I still don't understand, since previously I would brew with even hotter water and was making excellent cups. I'm going to continue to use the "cooler" water and see if I can get consistent.
I lowered my Behmor's brew temperature to 194 F when brewing the Batangas Liberica coffee to minimize the roasty notes and meaty flavors with good success and today I dropped to 192 F to brew a pot of my Ethiopia DP Buno Dambi Uddo roasted on Feb 18th which really brought out the sweetness and blueberry notes. I keep forgetting to change the temperature of the brew and often find that with Ethiopian naturals that lower temperatures work great.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

ojt

#16: Post by ojt »

yakster wrote:I keep forgetting to change the temperature of the brew and often find that with Ethiopian naturals that lower temperatures work great.
This has been my experience too. Even light roast Ethiopians seem to work better at lower temperatures. Could be because of my grinder too though.
Osku

yakster
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by yakster »

The brew temps on the Brazen are probably hard to compare to pour over, since it's a closed system. That 192 F water in the kettle is gravity fed into a closed basket below so there won't be as much temperature drop and the coffee slurry temperature than doing a pour-over with 192 F water. I know that for some the Behmor Brazen's temp range doesn't go low enough. I could even play with manual release mode and try varying the temps but for me I enjoy the single button press to make a pot of coffee for the family in the morning.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
Espressofilo

#18: Post by Espressofilo »

Have you haver brewed a satisfactory coffee in the place where you are living now?
Did you consider the problem might be in the water?

Water can deeply change the appreciation of coffee and can make of a very good coffee and a very good brewing method an overall unsatisfactory experience.

You could try a long boil of the water before using it for brewing to deposit its mineral content, or trying some low mineralized bottled water, or try distilled water with some added salts.

A low content of bicarbonate might bring forward the bitterness, which in turn might induce you to extract less (e.g. increasing the grind) and experience other problems.

From my notes, ideal bicarbonate content is between 50 and 75 mg/l. Calcium should be very low (30 - 50 mg/l) and Magnesium even lower (15 - 30 mg/l).