Ibrik coffee - Traditional Greek Aroma Challenge

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Tony Greco

#1: Post by Tony Greco »

Hello,

My favourite alternative brew method is Ibrik. I grew up with Greek Coffee, which is what we called it at home. Lately I have been digging deeper, read a lot of great threads on this forum, trying different types of beans.

By using fresher, better beans, the results have been great. Tastes like a fuller body espresso most of the time. When, however, for my own curiosity, I try to reproduce that traditional store-bought taste, I can't even get close. I have been tussling with this for a while. Some brands in Greek use a blend of arabica and robusta. Has anyone who has tried the generic brands like Loumidis and Bravo have any advice as to how I can achieve that more traditional aroma?

Thanks

Gataros

#2: Post by Gataros »

As an alternate choice, have you ever tried Ibrik coffee from Taf roasters?

https://cafetaf.gr/shop/index.php?route ... uct_id=159

Advertisement
Tony Greco (original poster)

#3: Post by Tony Greco (original poster) »

No I haven't. What kind of blend is it?

#4: Post by Tony Greco (original poster) »

Gataros wrote:As an alternate choice, have you ever tried Ibrik coffee from Taf roasters?

https://cafetaf.gr/shop/index.php?route ... uct_id=159
I have tried other coffee from them, but not this one. They are a great company.

What does this gourmet ibrik blend consist of?

pcrussell50

#5: Post by pcrussell50 »

I'm half Greek and grew up with this coffee too, particularly from my grandma. She did it with cardamom pods ground in with the coffee, which she bought fresh ground (super fine), from the Middle Eastern market, and made it super sweet. She used to call her ibrik a "briki". Was never sure why. It was an Atom brand from Iran.

Anyway, I like it with cardamom and ground super fine like in the ME markets. I don't know if even my Monolith Flat with SSP burrs can grind that fine. Or if so it would be an agonizingly slow, stall and start process. I wonder if the one with the regular Mythos burrs could do it better?

-Peter
LMWDP #553

#6: Post by Tony Greco (original poster) replying to pcrussell50 »

Briki is the Greek version of ibrik. I call it that as well. I never had it with cardamom, but I heard about this recipe before and there are many variations of this brew method, between the raw method of "measuring" with the eye to the very meticulous specialty method.

With regard to grinders, most are not able to produce the fineness for Greek. I bought special Turkish Burrs for my EK43.

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

I use my Niche Zero grinder with my Ibrik. It has no trouble grinding this fine, even with light-roasted, dense beans.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!